Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cost of shipping rising? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cost-shipping-rising-t274792.html)

Geri B 01-21-2016 08:21 AM

Cost of shipping rising?

For those who do a lot of online shopping, heard on the news po shipping cost will be rising......as it is now, I sometimes cancel an order when the S&H cost is added to the invoice.......especially now that gas prices are really going down and weather here is tolerable, gets me out into fresh air and walking around a store/exercise - if I can get what I want/need locally I put my coat on.....

tessagin 01-21-2016 08:27 AM

It has to be really important piece for me to order and pay for shipping. I always try local first and shipping is usually added into cost anyway. but fresh air is good!!

ManiacQuilter2 01-21-2016 09:04 AM

I think the prices have already been implemented. That is one reason I like shopping online at the Fabric Shack. They have a nice selection of fabrics especially ones on sale and the shipping is half off. Use to be $3 for all orders under $75. I have no connection with them, just like shopping there. I so dislike that when I buy a half yard, they was to charge me over $6 for shipping.

Onebyone 01-21-2016 11:38 AM

When I find something on a site that has high shipping I can find it either on Amazon Prime for free shipping, site to store for pick up or on sites that have free for min. amount or MSQC that has $5 shipping for any order no matter what you order.

patski 01-21-2016 11:42 AM

I went to the PO yesterday and flat rate went up 80 cents on a padded priority! Often when I order on line, I ask if there is free or low cost shipping alternatives and so far I have gotten FREE shipping

Elise1 01-21-2016 02:28 PM

I like to shop Hancocks of Paducah which has free shipping on orders over $70. And Keepsake Quilting which has free shipping on orders over $100.

ckcowl 01-21-2016 02:33 PM

Fabric. Com has free shipping at $35 and connecting Threads @ $50. I shop around and Always find what I need for free shipping.

Material Witness 01-21-2016 04:41 PM

And Lone Star Quiltworks has free shipping on all orders (they like you to order a yard, at least).

jmoore 01-22-2016 04:19 AM

I buy for my retail stores (gifts and women's clothing) and have seen the increase of shipping over the last 8 years. I don't think it's the cost of fuel as much as it is the increase in salaries for employees along with insurance and maintenance on vehicles. Fuel here in Maine is at $1.96/gal

sewbizgirl 01-22-2016 07:04 AM

Priority flat rates are up about a dollar each, and first class is up at least by $.50 per weight class. It really hurts us small business people (I have a shop on Etsy). The larger companies can offer free shipping or discounted shipping when you spend a lot with them, paid out of their profit. The service from the USPS just keeps getting worse and worse, yet every year they give themselves a pay raise!