Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cost of shipping rising?

Cost of shipping rising?

For those who do a lot of online shopping, heard on the news po shipping cost will be rising......as it is now, I sometimes cancel an order when the S&H cost is added to the invoice.......especially now that gas prices are really going down and weather here is tolerable, gets me out into fresh air and walking around a store/exercise - if I can get what I want/need locally I put my coat on.....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It has to be really important piece for me to order and pay for shipping. I always try local first and shipping is usually added into cost anyway. but fresh air is good!!

I think the prices have already been implemented. That is one reason I like shopping online at the Fabric Shack. They have a nice selection of fabrics especially ones on sale and the shipping is half off. Use to be $3 for all orders under $75. I have no connection with them, just like shopping there. I so dislike that when I buy a half yard, they was to charge me over $6 for shipping.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

When I find something on a site that has high shipping I can find it either on Amazon Prime for free shipping, site to store for pick up or on sites that have free for min. amount or MSQC that has $5 shipping for any order no matter what you order.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I went to the PO yesterday and flat rate went up 80 cents on a padded priority! Often when I order on line, I ask if there is free or low cost shipping alternatives and so far I have gotten FREE shipping
    Patski
    always learning

I like to shop Hancocks of Paducah which has free shipping on orders over $70. And Keepsake Quilting which has free shipping on orders over $100.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Blog Entries
    Fabric. Com has free shipping at $35 and connecting Threads @ $50. I shop around and Always find what I need for free shipping.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

And Lone Star Quiltworks has free shipping on all orders (they like you to order a yard, at least).

Blog Entries
    I buy for my retail stores (gifts and women's clothing) and have seen the increase of shipping over the last 8 years. I don't think it's the cost of fuel as much as it is the increase in salaries for employees along with insurance and maintenance on vehicles. Fuel here in Maine is at $1.96/gal
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Priority flat rates are up about a dollar each, and first class is up at least by $.50 per weight class. It really hurts us small business people (I have a shop on Etsy). The larger companies can offer free shipping or discounted shipping when you spend a lot with them, paid out of their profit. The service from the USPS just keeps getting worse and worse, yet every year they give themselves a pay raise!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here is the Postal calculator. https://postcalc.usps.com/
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I remember when I applied for a PO job when I was 18. I had to take written tests that lasted all day which included memory tests. I passed but didn't get a call to work at the local post office. I was talking to the clerk at our local PO and was surprised to know she never had to take a test of any sort. She applied and got the job. Not saying she is not capable but what happened to testing to get the better employees?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I buy from my local shops first. I do pay shipping on small orders. I just can't see paying shipping when my order is less then the shipping. Life is a challenge at times.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My mother was the postmaster for the small town I where I was raised. She wanted me to take the test. She had so much stress from that job. Good money but most of it went toward all the health issues she incurred because of the stress. No way! She had nightmares and walked in her sleep. Everytime she turned around she was being audited. they did that a lot with the smaller offices. If she was 3 cents off she had to give them a reason. they didn't buy mistaken key typo.

Freight is a money maker. Our business gets extra charges by U.P.S. all the time. My Husband calls until he gets someone that takes the charges off. It stops for awhile then they try to slip it through again.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

if you are using Click N Ship (online postage through the PO) you no longer get a discount. You are paying the same retail price as if you stood in line at the Post Office. Not a good move on their part, why should I waste my ink and paper and tape when I don't get a break for doing so?

ptquilts.....I feel that way about when using a motel, they ask if I want to save the planet by not having clean towels each day......do I get a break in the bill? No! Some things are hard to understand.

I do think all costs are going up and it is primarily because of the pay raises along with insurance paid by the employer......

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I remember when I applied for a PO job when I was 18. I had to take written tests that lasted all day which included memory tests. I passed but didn't get a call to work at the local post office. I was talking to the clerk at our local PO and was surprised to know she never had to take a test of any sort. She applied and got the job. Not saying she is not capable but what happened to testing to get the better employees?
    Testing to judge ones mental abilities/capabilities for a job? My that would be called discrimination of some sort today! It seems as long as the body is breathing and warm, the job is filled.....in a lot of the day to day positions...and maybe even higher up!

I have encountered a few situations recently that left me scratching my head......

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Freight is a money maker. Our business gets extra charges by U.P.S. all the time. My Husband calls until he gets someone that takes the charges off. It stops for awhile then they try to slip it through again.
    so, the UPS, FEDEX, etc should ship for free? The shipping costs will be hidden
    in the price for goods. I guess that I never understand why people expect shipping should be free. Not sure what biz you are in but I assume you purchase in volume. Again, i dont understand your business. I am Just referring to individuals making onlne purchases vs a legitimate business.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    ptquilts.....I feel that way about when using a motel, they ask if I want to save the planet by not having clean towels each day......do I get a break in the bill? No! Some things are hard to understand.
    Housekeeping usually takes the towels anyway. Probably easier to grab them vs. worrying about the "save the planet" mantra.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)