Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cough mixture (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cough-mixture-t258257.html)

quiltjoey 12-16-2014 06:43 PM

My brother has been sick 4 weeks and has been to the doctor who gave him antibiotics and Prednisone. He coughs and coughs day and night and has to sleep in the recliner. Says he hurts all over. Now his wife has caught it. They did what the doc said, taken OTC, and holistic. Nothing seems to work. I think it was some sort of flu... Hope they get well soon...

What is the recipe for the whiskey mixture?

Neesie 12-16-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey (Post 7010815)
My brother has been sick 4 weeks and has been to the doctor who gave him antibiotics and Prednisone. He coughs and coughs day and night and has to sleep in the recliner. Says he hurts all over. Now his wife has caught it. They did what the doc said, taken OTC, and holistic. Nothing seems to work. I think it was some sort of flu... Hope they get well soon...

What is the recipe for the whiskey mixture?

Your brother needs to go back to the doctor or see a different one. He may have pneumonia. :-(

cathyvv 12-16-2014 07:29 PM

Perhaps youn\r husband has had an allergic reaction to the shot? I hope not. I'll say a prayer for his recovery.

Neesie 12-16-2014 07:30 PM

When I was pregnant with my son, I had a terrible cough and spent a lot of time sipping lemon juice and honey. It really does work. The whiskey would definitely be a bonus, for those not pregnant. :)

cathyvv 12-16-2014 07:33 PM

That's what I was thinking - definitely time to see a different dr.

Whiskey is not a good idea for coughs. Alcohol causes dehydration, and sick people don't need to add that to their list of symptoms.

Edie 12-17-2014 04:29 AM

My Mom put Musterole on our chests and then when it got a little better it was Vicks on our feet with socks, , Vicks on our chest and then up the nose. A cold will last either one week or seven days - That's it! But now that I can have whatever all of you are having, it's no big deal. Whoo hoo -12 years old and I get some hot booze cuz I got a cold". We had a cough medicine from the drug store (back in the 50's) that was so full of codeine, it would put you to sleep. They, eventually too it off the market. And I can't remember the name of it. Tasted cherry like, but ooh, it felt good going down. I still don't like colds!!!!! Edie

Watson58 12-17-2014 05:27 AM

Vicks on the bottom of my feet ALWAYS takes care of my cough!

katesnanna 12-17-2014 05:35 AM

Licorice also raises blood pressure.

marymay 12-17-2014 06:46 AM

Yep I use this but with Crown Royal. Which is a Whiskey. Back in the day cough medicine. :-)

tessagin 12-17-2014 06:53 AM

My Dh used bourbon for a hot toddy. He got upset that I sent him straight to bed. 5 minutes later he slept through the night. Didn't wake up until 630 am. First time he slept 8 hours straight. He was a totally different person in a good way.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7010329)
What a great family recipe. Do you think that substitution for Bourbon instead of whiskey would work???