Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   countertops; granite, quartz, etc.?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/countertops%3B-granite-quartz-etc-t263407.html)

sash 03-31-2015 10:12 AM

countertops; granite, quartz, etc.??????

Wanting new countertops; should have done it right the first time about 15 years ago, but didn't. I still like my back splash and just want new countertops and island countertop. What do yiou feel is the best material for this? Thanks for suggestions/responses.

Tartan 03-31-2015 10:42 AM

For me it was price. I would have loved natural stone or corian countertops in my kitchen but they were just too expensive. I settled for someone to tile my counter top. In the bathrooms I went with Formica counter tops with porcelain sinks set in.

donnajean 03-31-2015 11:04 AM

I'm having Granite installed for my kitchen counter tops on the 15th of this month. My new modern faucet just arrived today. It's expensive, but this is what I am doing with my IRA Requited Minimum Distribution this year.

lynnie 03-31-2015 11:18 AM

everyone goes with granite thinking it's the best. it isn't quartz is better,
you don't have to seal it. it will not burn, granite can burn from something hot placed on it
granite will also scratch. quartz won't look into it, ask questions at the counter top stores.
they will show you comparisons, and tell you what's best. the most expensive is not always
the best. check out your options before buying this time. good luck.

Juliebelle 03-31-2015 12:30 PM

We had granite installed in December I love it and the installers did a great job, no mess and they did not damage our backsplash which goes perfect with the counters. We debated long and hard but after 3 months of looking we decided that it was the way to go. The one we got was from lowes and does not need to be sealed for 10 years.

nyelphaba 03-31-2015 03:39 PM

I have Quartz countertops. Have had them for seven years, no problems, no complaints. If I had to do my kitchen over again I would still get Quartz.

Annaquilts 03-31-2015 03:43 PM

I have mostly soap stone but an island in the center with granite and I prefer the granite.

nativetexan 03-31-2015 03:58 PM

Oh if I could, I'd have quartz. No staining or treatment required. granite is less but more work.

barri1 03-31-2015 04:16 PM

I have granite, and I love it.. It gets sealed once a year, and it takes a couple of minutes to do it.. I was going nuts looking for something I would love, and found it. It's maranochi. It's all colors, and looks like they cut through a pile of amazing rocks..

coopah 03-31-2015 04:39 PM

We had counters made out of Silestone in our WA state home. Oh, it was beautiful...and when the lights would reflect on some of the bits in the quartz, it was just a delight. Never needed polished, ours never scratched, and it was just perfect for us with low care. Check it before you order granite. You might be surprised!