Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: countertops; granite, quartz, etc.??????

countertops; granite, quartz, etc.??????

Wanting new countertops; should have done it right the first time about 15 years ago, but didn't. I still like my back splash and just want new countertops and island countertop. What do yiou feel is the best material for this? Thanks for suggestions/responses.

Power Poster
    For me it was price. I would have loved natural stone or corian countertops in my kitchen but they were just too expensive. I settled for someone to tile my counter top. In the bathrooms I went with Formica counter tops with porcelain sinks set in.

I'm having Granite installed for my kitchen counter tops on the 15th of this month. My new modern faucet just arrived today. It's expensive, but this is what I am doing with my IRA Requited Minimum Distribution this year.

Blog Entries
    everyone goes with granite thinking it's the best. it isn't quartz is better,
    you don't have to seal it. it will not burn, granite can burn from something hot placed on it
    granite will also scratch. quartz won't look into it, ask questions at the counter top stores.
    they will show you comparisons, and tell you what's best. the most expensive is not always
    the best. check out your options before buying this time. good luck.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We had granite installed in December I love it and the installers did a great job, no mess and they did not damage our backsplash which goes perfect with the counters. We debated long and hard but after 3 months of looking we decided that it was the way to go. The one we got was from lowes and does not need to be sealed for 10 years.
    Juliebelle

I have Quartz countertops. Have had them for seven years, no problems, no complaints. If I had to do my kitchen over again I would still get Quartz.

I have mostly soap stone but an island in the center with granite and I prefer the granite.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Oh if I could, I'd have quartz. No staining or treatment required. granite is less but more work.

I have granite, and I love it.. It gets sealed once a year, and it takes a couple of minutes to do it.. I was going nuts looking for something I would love, and found it. It's maranochi. It's all colors, and looks like they cut through a pile of amazing rocks..

Blog Entries
    We had counters made out of Silestone in our WA state home. Oh, it was beautiful...and when the lights would reflect on some of the bits in the quartz, it was just a delight. Never needed polished, ours never scratched, and it was just perfect for us with low care. Check it before you order granite. You might be surprised!
    Last edited by coopah; 03-31-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

We have lived in our house 43 years, it was time to update. I wanted Granite so bad I could taste it until I
    priced it. I told them at the store it was just toooo expensive. He said let me show you something. Formica (the brand) is making a counter top you would swear is the real thing. I had my entire kitchen done for $1600.00 and I have a lot of counter top. They built it the 3/4 inch plywood, rounded the edges. I have people come in the house and rant and rave over my new granite. I have to be honest and tell them the truth. Google Formica (Brand) and look for it. It is amazing.

When we redid our kitchen 7 years ago, we chose granite....and i am still so in love with it. I don't cut on it - and never sit hot pots on it without a pad......but i didn't do those things when i had the builder's Formica either.
    I think all of the items that others have mentioned here are perfect for each person. It really all hinges on your taste and budget. I figured this was the one and only time (before i go out feet first) that i was going to remodel the kitchen - so i tried really hard to get what i liked and what would not be "dated".
    OH...and by having under cabinet lighting installed too - my granite really gets shown off.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Sigh......my house is almost 50 years old.....needs a kitchen remodel. Not going to happen this year.....

I was at a friends house that had incredible granite counter tops. THey must have spent at least 15 - 20 thousand because of the sq. ft they had. Any way it was Thanksgiving and they took the turkey out of the oven and set it on the rounded end of a counter. In a few minutes all you heard was this loud snap and crash .... the rounded end that cantilevered over the end of the island snapped off and fell to the floor. The heat transferred caused a rapid expansion of the granite. All of those colors are different minerals, that react differently to heat.
    I would pick quartz. the minerals are bonded together with a polymer that gives it strength.

I have granite now. It was in the home when we bought it. I hate it. It always feels dirty to me! The granite we have hides the dirt extremely well, so I am always unpleasantly surprised when I touch it.

A beautiful formica would suit me fine.

My DH was so careful of the granite when we first moved in, because it was so expensive to replace. Now he doesn't seem to care.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I had granite when my kitchen was remodeled 4 yrs ago but the whole main floor was flooded due to a broken filter in the ice maker while I was gone south for awhile. Kitchen cabinets had to be replaced due to mold but the counter tops got broken when cabinets had to be replaced. I now have Quartz after being told it does not require yearly maintenance (sealing) like granite does. It's just as beaut as granite & everybody assumes it is. I'm so happy with it.

I had granite when my kitchen was remodeled 4 yrs ago but the whole main floor was flooded due to a broken filter in the ice maker while I was gone south for awhile. Kitchen cabinets had to be replaced due to mold but the counter tops got broken when cabinets had to be replaced. I now have Quartz after being told it does not require yearly maintenance (sealing) like granite does. It's just as beaut as granite & everybody assumes it is. I'm so happy with it.

I want to agree with cathyvv' post. I had the same experience with granite. I was constantly wiping it since it felt dusty all the time. Every speck of dust showed when the sun hit it.

I have a granite table, I've had it for 25 years 2 of my boys plus friends 5 dogs who have tried to teeth on it and not a mark, never had to have it sealed or polished. I was told when I had it made that granite will never mark, will outlive me after all it's what headstones in a graveyard are made of. I wanted marble, but was advised granite was better as marble is porous, marks and needs sealed frequently.

I put in Quartz in my last house & granite in my current house & I love both of them. I am careful with my countertops, both granite & Quartz. After spending all of that money on them I have never taken things from the oven directly to the counter. The biggest difference I noticed is you can get more "movement" with granite while the Quartz patterns are more subtle. The subtle worked well in my previous kitchen & my current kitchen looks great with granite. Price them both out- Quartz isn't necessarily always cheaper.

I'm planning a kitchen remodel as we speak. I prefer Formica laminate, but on the area around the sink I will get Quartz. I want a farmhouse sink that must be undermounted. You cannot undermount a laminate.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    everyone goes with granite thinking it's the best. it isn't quartz is better,
    you don't have to seal it. it will not burn, granite can burn from something hot placed on it
    granite will also scratch. quartz won't look into it, ask questions at the counter top stores.
    they will show you comparisons, and tell you what's best. the most expensive is not always
    the best. check out your options before buying this time. good luck.
    I agree. I would find a quartz product. A former friend of mine had granite installed and in no time, there were scratches !! YIKES!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

We wanted a bright red counter top 10 feet long to go on an island and the only product we found was Ceasarstone Quartz, it gets hard use as our computers sit on one end of it and we spend a great deal of time....it also is a "landing place" for items as we come in the house.. No scratches, scorches..love, love, love it.
    Pat

At $50+ per square foot (that's $100 a running foot of countertop,) I am staggered at the price of the high-end materials. They are so-o-o-o beautiful, but Wow! are they expensive, especially if you have a large kitchen. I think I would stay with laminate and spend the extra money on airplane tickets. But, as always -- to each his/her own.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Silverstone or Quartz would be the two I'd consider
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
    We had granite installed in December I love it and the installers did a great job, no mess and they did not damage our backsplash which goes perfect with the counters. We debated long and hard but after 3 months of looking we decided that it was the way to go. The one we got was from lowes and does not need to be sealed for 10 years.
    This is exactly what we're in the process of having installed now! I'm glad to hear you're happy with yours. I hate that we have to go 3 weeks without a countertop or kitchen sink waiting for it, though. 1 week down, 2 to go.

We had quartz in our last house and I really loved it, but prices have gone up and we can't really afford it for this house. So we got the pre-sealed granite. I was leery so we bought a sample and spent a few days abusing it and it's pretty rugged stuff. I left red wine and mustard on the sample overnight and it cleaned off without leaving any marks. I had to gouge at it with a screwdriver to put scratches in it - rubbing keys over it even with moderate pressure didn't do it. I also like that the 10-year warranty transfers to new owners - we will probably sell this house within the next 3-5 years so that was a nice bonus too.

The counter we just ripped out was 14 year old tile - the grout was literally crumbling away and they were just gross. No matter what, the new counters will be so much better than that! I love solid-surface counters for the kitchen and can't wait to have one again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast