Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: countertops; granite, quartz, etc.??????

We got granite about five years ago. Had it treated so it doesn't have to be sealed every year. Supposed to last for close to 15 years. So far so good.....no scratches or marks. Only thing we have to do is NOT use a citrus based cleaner on it because it could hurt the seal. I like it a lot and waited a long, long time for the kitchen remodel!
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

Hard rock maple. Mine have lived with us for just over 30 years. They are forgiving, beautiful, and indestructable. They get better with age. The care is simple. I use warm water and DAWN and/or, depending on how I am feeling and what I'm cleaning up, a 1 to 1 combinatin of ammonia, rubbing alcohol, and water (there is a spray bottle full of this stuff on the counter now).

Please be aware that "us" is a husband and two children and all their hungry friends. The hard rock maple counter tops have seen action and the occasional oops. One of my better decisions throughout my life, those counter tops. Not anywhere close to the "husband" one, though.

Enjoy what you choose.

Pat

Enjoy

My vote would be quartz if you can afford it. Or Silestone. My kitchen needs new tops, but am waiting (due to $$). We have lots of countertop space, so waiting. My experience with granite, not so much. It gets "dirty", and "ages" fast-imho. Seeing other folks' granite after time, no thanks. I need durable.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Don't believe the sales pitch on Corian countertops. I did and now regret it but in the model home (where no one lives or uses) it was beautiful. They do stain, scratch, burn etc.........................
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Thanks for all this info. Very helpful. Thanks again.

We had Corian installed in our kitchen about 10 years ago, still looks great! We love it! Wish I could afford to get it done in the bathrooms.

On HGTV they say the quartz is better than the granite. Being almost 70 and living in a mobile home I do not have to worry, no kitchen remodel in the near future, but I would stick to a nice Formica in here, not worth the high end stuff.

Blog Entries
    If you have the budget quartz. That is what I want as soon as we decide to renew the counter tops. My daughter has had both and far preferred the quartz. She said that the granite just never looked clean to her and the quartz was easy. If budget modest, go with the laminate because it has come a long way and looks just like the more expensive stuff.
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

Our new (to us) home has granite and I love it!

I just had a whole new kitchen put in with granite countertops. So far I love it but I have only had it about a month.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

My husband is building us new kitchen cabinets, and after a lot of research on his part, we are going with Quartz.

I remodeled my kitchen 2 years ago. I chose quartz: already sealed. heat resistant. no need to resurface and reseal the counter top as you need to do with granite. great color choices. durable. LONG lasting. Cleans up well without using any harsh chemicals. Would choose quartz again.

Our kitchen needs an upgrade but this is reason granite is totally ruled out. No one mentioned in this discussion that granite gives off radon, and if you have granite in your home it is highly advisable you have an adequate exchange of fresh air.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/granite-...health-threat/

I have butcher block countertops. I don't baby them, just keep them clean. The years have distressed the wood enough that it looks even more amazing. The countertops are thick like a regular chopping board.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I'm with the quartz gals. When we were getting new countertops, I took my husbands pocket knife with me - as I knew my family is lazy about using a cutting board. Everything scratched except the quartz, plus the bonus of not staining or needing to be sealed ever! Red wine spills from DH disappear with a wipe even the next morning.

I'm a Corian fan. I used to design kitchens including selling countertops. I got a huge education on all the available products. Granite is a natural product with all the same flaws a mountain has - cracks, wear channels, etc; if you leave a lemon on a granite countertop mold will grow on the under side of the slab. Quartz is mostly natural stone with a chemical bonding agent. Granite and quarts (also other stones) are very hard, but are unrepairable if broken or cracked. [email protected] and other laminate countertops are paper sealed with thin plastic. Eventually the plastic and paper wear resulting in stains and soaked particle board (the substrate). If you are a germophobe go with stainless steel or corian, the only 2 materials approved for use in operating rooms. Neither will absorb bacterial agents, and both are repairable if damaged in any way and the repairs, when done properly, are invisible. I had a customer with 17 year old corian countertops who decided she wanted them to look new again. Our installer spent a little time buffing them out and - yes - they did look brand new. Cleaning with a soft cloth and a quick buff will prevent most scratches.
    Shirley in Arizona

I have Formica counter tops, which I just love. Like DACO48 said, I get lots of compliments. The new Formica out now is so much better and lots more patterns than years ago.

I LOVE my Corian and feel that it was a good investment. Everything is seamless -- the backspash is coved and the sinks are molded right in. There's no place for grime to accumulate and it's a breeze to keep clean. I still use hotpads and cutting boards, however, because those habits are "ingrained" -- and my vacation house has snarky Formica that I have to be careful with.

Blog Entries
    When we built our home in 1967, they used Corian for the bathroom vanities and the kitchen counters...they are still just like new...no scratches, nothing...I did change my kitchen counters to Formica 15 years ago, and they have held up fantastic...just wanted different look in my kitchen...my neice has granite and it does not impress me at all..

We went with quartz because it is easier to clean and less expensive than granite.

I have had new counter tops and allways wanted ceramic tile and didn't get it but two years ago redone kitchen and got white tile with blue glass trim and I love it.

Blog Entries
    my bathroom counter top is granite, I didn't know our wather was so hard. it's it terribly stained. the color is uba tuba, it's blakis with specks in it. it looks like comet is around the handles. it needs to be sealed 2 times a year, and to dry for 24 hours, otherwise, it will get stained like ours. I need to re do it again. complications with natural rock granite. it's a pain in the butt, but pretty.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We had quartz put in about 5 years ago. I really like them, no upkeep at all. The only thing I suggest is if you can see a large sample of what you think you like, that would be really good. I had picked out what I thought I wanted from one of those small square samples, I had to go to the installer to take my sinks so they could cut them correctly. On the wall when you entered were large sample of all the different patterns, I realized I would have hated what I originally picked out...just a thought.

I agree with Lynnie. We just remodeled our kitchen, and I decided that quartz was the easiest to care for. Just washes clean with Windex. And if someday in the future I get poor, I don't have to spend money for sealing.

I've had our granite kitchen counter tops for about 6 years now. Bought them from Home Depot. They are specially treated/sealed and have never had to be resealed. I brought the samples home before I bought it and tested them over the weekend with wine, dye, beet juice, etc. to see if they would stain. They did not and never have. I never use cleaners or cleansers, bleach, or anything like that on them. I just wash/wipe them with a damp sponge/cloth. They still shine like a "dime".

I have put hot pots have not burnt them. I haven't tried to light them on fire (LOL) as anything will burn if is the fire is hot enough. Remember 911 and the towers of concrete and steel.

I know marble has to be sealed very frequently as my sister has those. I love my granite counters and wouldn't trade them for anything else.

I think you would love granite… imho
    Last edited by quiltjoey; 04-04-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast