Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice please - granite, quartz or similar countertops

Advice please - granite, quartz or similar countertops

Do you have a granite, quartz or similar type countertop with a shiny finish?

I currently have formica with a matte finish. I wipe it down many times during the day. Always with a damp cloth, never with paper towels. Sometimes the cloth is simply wet and sometimes I spray cleaner before I wipe down. I allow it to air dry.

I have realized that when I clean certain shiny items in my home (dishwasher front panel for one), I have to dry the surface or I'll get odd marks where the water dried naturally. Is it the same with shiny countertops?

I'll be in the market for new countertops soon and this is important. Thanks!

I put butcher block counter tops in my kitchen. The realtor said it only granite sells homes if we decided to sell. So sorry to disappoint the future buyers. LOL I guess I'm the only one that does not like the look of granite. Every house I go into has granite and most are speckled with so much blobs of color it looks cluttered. I do like the cement counter tops. And I saw a home with sealed brick countertops. Amazing and the owner did it himself.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have black granite in my kitchen. Nice and shiny. You do have to dry the granite after cleaning. If I ever redo this kitchen, I will still go with granite but, I would do a much lighter color.
    Aronel aka Lee

Blog Entries
    quartz is so much easier to work with, and I think it will see a house.
    I think to many people go with the crowd without thinking of it's possibilities.
    quartz has less upkeep, and is stronger and sturdier than granite. it's the bandwagon now adays.
    Do your own research on the countertops before deciding. a quick trip to Home Depot will help
    with this. I'm so tired of these people on the home shows wanting granite and stainless.
    I want white cabinets, it think it opened up the kitchen more,than say these darker choices.
    It's like avocado green and harvest gold was 30-40 years ago.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Do you have to dry your quartz counter Lynnie?

I had quartz counter tops for about five years and loved them--did not deter the sale of the house last summer. Never had to dry them after wiping with wet cloths,,no polishing, no scratches from sharp knives, no one could ever detect where it was seamed. Many patterns to choose from and some look just like the granite one. Our new senior condo came with formica countertop and I'll live with it but sure not as nice as the quartz.

Is quartz not shiny, is that why you don't need to dry it? I have zero info at this point. The project is a ways off.

I will be updating my kitchen soon, (we still have formica). I will be following this thread.

Doing a kitchen remodel is intimidating to me. I have no idea where to even start.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Blog Entries
    If there is an Ikea near you, go check out their Kitchen Design section. There is a good assortment of countertops and they also give options for the same look at a different price.

Almost all the granite I have seen is mottled, so unless there was a sunbeam on it, you would not notice streaks.

When I finally get my dream kitchen it will have different countertops in different areas.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

We just redid our kitchen and put in granite because plan to sell in the next year or two. Quartz was more expensive and we'd have chosen it if we were staying. No, I don't have to wipe them dry. They always look great with anormal damp, soapy cloth wipedown. If you need to get something crusty off, or want a cleaner clean, You have to use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner occasionally (like Bon Ami) . Granite needs to be resealed every 5-6 months. (My hubby is handy so not a biggie for us.)

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Tothill - I love Ikea!! But ours is over an hour away. We'll have to visit and see if they install that far away, or even deliver items for someone else to install.

We have a beige pattern granite with white cabinets and stainless appliances in current house. Like it very much. Granite for us has been easy to keep up with. Moving to new house near enough to IKEA to put in a white kitchen (which I have drooled over for years but shipping (not delivery) for IKEA is very expensive. Going with Quartz this time. Son near new house has Quartz and it is very easy to maintain. I dropped spaghetti sauce on it and didn't notice til it dried. Just a damp paper towel cleaned it up with no streaking. It is white with some gray and called nougat. Our will be a little different.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    We had dark blue quartz countertops with hickory cabinets and red oak flooring. No way did I want the care of granite and no way did I want more brown or black in the same room. So we went with quartz. It was wonderful to care for and hot pots could be set on it without any damage. (I never tried that, though.) The sparkles of the light reflecting on the quartz was amazing...loved it. Now have granite and would love to switch to quartz again.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I would love to have quartz coumter tops. the don't need treating like granite ones do and they are stain resistant.

Did a remodel last year. Granite countertops, white and wood cupboards, stainless appliances. Well, we wood paneled the dishwasher fronts.. I love it. Did a beautiful piece with lots of colors from nature (brown, black, some whites, golds) veining all through it as a full slab on the island. Then did black honed on the rest of counters. The black does water spot but I just TRY to clean up after myself! (Got some NORWEX microfiber rags. Very helpful with spots and streaking.) It's not that super shiny kind. The honed tones it down. I went granite over quartz as all the Quartz is the same to me? Looks like little dots of color? Or something.? I like the natural veined look over the manufactured look I saw with the Quartz. I REALLY wanted soapstone!!! Check that out. Very antibiotic. And beautiful! But, only comes black with occasionally a vein of Green. Good luck with your remodel. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine and don't know if I could do it again. Lived out of a back bedroom "temporary kitchen" for 6 months and was stressful.. Get on HOUZZ and start looking.

Blog Entries
    I put High Definition laminate in my kitchen. I have a large 6 x 8 island and had the corners trimmed with a rounded edge. It is the first thing people comment on in my new kitchen - Is this marble? It cost about 1/3 what granite or quartz would have but is as beautiful. It has a finish on it that is extremely durable. I may not want the same countertop 15 years from now and having the laminate will allow a change if I wish.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Very informative!!

I wonder about something. It seems perhaps the darker colors show the water spots more than the lighter colors? For those of you who say you don't have to dry your counters after washing them, do you have lighter colors by any chance? Seems the black is particularly fussy??

We recently put in granite and love it. I didn't want anything in the brown tones, so we chose a granite named Steel Rock. It's mostly black with flecks of gray in it. It is stunning. I wipe it down, but don't need to dry it, but I often do, because it's still so new to me (like a man lovingly washing and buffing his new car repeatedly.) We looked at quartz, which was significantly more expensive (about 1/3 again as much) but didn't like that most of it had glittery sparkles in it. We thought that was a fad, and wanted the timeless beauty of natural stone. I will say that a friend sent me photos of the high gloss black countertops in a condo they rented cautioning me against all black high gloss. The water spots WERE terrible.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Every once in a while when I do an open house, I go in ahead of time and wipe down the countertops if need be. I just use a damp warm cloth and dry with a towel afterward. I do this in my home. Warning to those who renovate/remodel their homes for resale. Get with a realtor to compare your home with others. Putting in expensive stone countertops may really improve your sentimental value and make your home look stunning but depending on the neighborhood market, may not be the profit maker you hope to have on your home to sell in the future. Like I said depending on the market for the neighborhood.

Power Poster
    I have quartz and I love it. Its a little more care but worth it I think...I use a special granite cleaner and reseal it about twice a year.

I love my granite......have it in two bathrooms also. My daughter has Quartz and she loves her countertops. It's personal preference. The granite should be reseated perodically, but not a big deal. Do some research.

No one mentioned Corian. I suppose it's not "trendy" but I love my Corian counter tops -- all one piece with coved backsplash and sink molded right in so there are no seams anywhere where gunk can hide. Clean-up is a breeze.

Thank you Teri for bringing Corian into the mix. It's definitely on my list to investigate. There are many matte finishes which I would definitely be happy with. I don't care so much about trendy. I plan to stay in the house for quite a while and I cook every day. I want ease of use and ease of cleaning most of all.

My last and current house both have/had granite counters, and I've never seen any streaking from not drying the counters! And I have LED lights under the cabinets that shine directly on the counters....

Like you, I constantly wipe down my counters with a dishcloth and plain water. I have relatively dark colors...I'll try and post a picture.

IMO, granite is beautiful and will help sell a house.Name:  IMG_3178.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  36.8 KB
    Last edited by Girlfriend; 10-26-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Thanks for the pic and info Girlfriend. Nice counters!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast