Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cracked corn vs whole feed corn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cracked-corn-vs-whole-feed-corn-t257579.html)

gjc2001 12-01-2014 05:05 AM

Cracked corn vs whole feed corn

I'm new to the quilting board and I'm sure someone can help me out with this. I'm in the process of making heating pads/cooling pads as Christmas gifts for the elderly. By mistake I purchased a 50# bag of cracked corn and not feed corn. Could someone please tell me why I shouldn't use the cracked corn. Tried finding something out about it on the internet with no success. If I can't use it I'll give it to my daughter for her chickens and head for the feed store. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.

qwkslver 12-01-2014 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by gjc2001 (Post 6990261)
I'm new to the quilting board and I'm sure someone can help me out with this. I'm in the process of making heating pads/cooling pads as Christmas gifts for the elderly. By mistake I purchased a 50# bag of cracked corn and not feed corn. Could someone please tell me why I shouldn't use the cracked corn. Tried finding something out about it on the internet with no success. If I can't use it I'll give it to my daughter for her chickens and head for the feed store. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.

I have never made those but I used to buy a lot of feed corn. I would think the cracked corn might let more heat go through. Just a guess. Good luck.

toverly 12-01-2014 05:37 AM

I'm guessing here, but I would think the cracked corn would create "dust" that would leak thru the bag. Whole corn, while not entirely clean wouldn't be dusty. I'd let the chickens have it.

KalamaQuilts 12-01-2014 09:03 AM

the cracked corn would be more comfortable than nubs of whole corn.
I use rice in mine.
I don't use quilters cotton though, I use washcloths.

MargaretH 12-01-2014 09:05 AM

I like using flax seed scented with lavender in mine. I like the way they retain the heat and the pleasant aroma they put out.

Annie68 12-01-2014 10:05 AM

Would be much simpler to use rice.

cjr 12-01-2014 10:14 AM

I have had the corn ones and they are very rough compared to rice in bags. Buy rice in 50 # bags at oriental or Mexican store. If none in your area, try wheat; don't know how it compares in price, but grain size similiar to rice.

mudose8 12-01-2014 10:54 AM

I use deer feed corn in my bags. I also read an article where they were making these to use in hospitals, and they had to use the deer feed corn. The deer feed corn is cleaner and I also think the cracked corn would have too much cob particles and more dust.

tessagin 12-01-2014 10:59 AM

The ones I've come across have been made with rice. Plain old long ggrain rice

Cari-in-Oly 12-01-2014 12:04 PM

My DD used to make heat packs and sell them, she always used feed corn.

Cari