Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cracked corn vs whole feed corn

Blog Entries

Cracked corn vs whole feed corn

I'm new to the quilting board and I'm sure someone can help me out with this. I'm in the process of making heating pads/cooling pads as Christmas gifts for the elderly. By mistake I purchased a 50# bag of cracked corn and not feed corn. Could someone please tell me why I shouldn't use the cracked corn. Tried finding something out about it on the internet with no success. If I can't use it I'll give it to my daughter for her chickens and head for the feed store. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by gjc2001 View Post
    I'm new to the quilting board and I'm sure someone can help me out with this. I'm in the process of making heating pads/cooling pads as Christmas gifts for the elderly. By mistake I purchased a 50# bag of cracked corn and not feed corn. Could someone please tell me why I shouldn't use the cracked corn. Tried finding something out about it on the internet with no success. If I can't use it I'll give it to my daughter for her chickens and head for the feed store. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.
    I have never made those but I used to buy a lot of feed corn. I would think the cracked corn might let more heat go through. Just a guess. Good luck.

I'm guessing here, but I would think the cracked corn would create "dust" that would leak thru the bag. Whole corn, while not entirely clean wouldn't be dusty. I'd let the chickens have it.

the cracked corn would be more comfortable than nubs of whole corn.
    I use rice in mine.
    I don't use quilters cotton though, I use washcloths.

I like using flax seed scented with lavender in mine. I like the way they retain the heat and the pleasant aroma they put out.

Would be much simpler to use rice.

cjr
    I have had the corn ones and they are very rough compared to rice in bags. Buy rice in 50 # bags at oriental or Mexican store. If none in your area, try wheat; don't know how it compares in price, but grain size similiar to rice.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

I use deer feed corn in my bags. I also read an article where they were making these to use in hospitals, and they had to use the deer feed corn. The deer feed corn is cleaner and I also think the cracked corn would have too much cob particles and more dust.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The ones I've come across have been made with rice. Plain old long ggrain rice

Banned
    My DD used to make heat packs and sell them, she always used feed corn.

Cari

Having used cracked corn in bird feeders, I can tell you it is VERY dusty! It also gets moldy rather easily, if it gets damp.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I made one with rice and hated the smell when it was heated. We only heated it for 45 seconds. Is there something that isn't quite so stinky?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Corn in these bags smells like popcorn to me when heated....and I don't like it.

I use rice (cheapest you can find) or flax seed or both together with a small amount (1/3 - 1/2 cup) of scented lavendar flowers added to help with odor AND relaxation. Flax seeds make the bags more shapeable to the body part needing comfort.

The bags I make of cotton can be heated or cooled. These are sewn closed. Then I cover that with another bag of flannel because it feels soft and can be removed to wash.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

We tend to use wheat here in Australia....just good old plain wheat you feed 'chooks' (slang for chickens). I add lavender and dried herbs depending on what scents people like.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I have a lot to make to donate to the local food pantry to be used as a little extra gift with Christmas baskets. I also make them as gifts for the children along with pillowcases. I use flannel for the heat/cool pads. Thanks again.

I used beans in mine. Regular dried navy beans. They didn't smell very nice for about a year. Now there is no more smell.
    If you use something rough, like corn, I would use a double layer of fabric, or one layer of regular fabric and one layer of fleece or something like that.
    Mine is two layers of drapery fabric, but I'm thinking that a fleece cover would make the heat felt less at first. That thing gets really hot on my neck! Or make a "pillow case" cover that can be washed occasionally.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I've made dozens of rice bags. As for the smell, it only lasts for a couple of "heatings". The rice also provides "moist" heat since it has the tendency to absorb moisture as it sits for awhile. My hubby and I have used some of them for years before the cotton cover wore thru. I make them over-sized. Each bag has 4-5 sections and is 24" long. I pattern them after one I received as a gift years ago. That person got it at her chiropractor's office!

I use rice in mine; they seem softer.

Quote Originally Posted by gjc2001 View Post
    I was always told to use cracked corn in mine as it will not pop like regular corn

I make these corn warmers for many friends and teachers. I use whole kernel corn because it is cleaner and will hold the heat longer. My daughter's roommates at college steal hers all of the time.
    I make the interior bag out of muslin or duck (I have a ton of duck) and sew it shut. Then the outside bag is made with soft flannel and can be removed to wash.

My friend made with cherry pits, works great

Try one and see if you like them. If not, the chickens will still love you:-)