Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crazy poinsettia....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crazy-poinsettia-t206535.html)

logcabinfran 11-21-2012 11:05 PM

I put mine in the closet where its dark in Oct. then take it out the first of Dec. so it will bloom for Christmas.

caspharm 11-22-2012 09:27 AM

Very nice. I can't seem to keep them past the season.

oldpiglady 11-22-2012 11:00 AM

Many many yrs ago I lived in Oceanside, Cal. The whole street had the same bushes. I didn't understand it. Ahhhh! But come Dec...turns out they were all Poinsettia bushes. Absolutely beautiful to drive down the street. For a mile. Beautiful. Wish they lived like that here in Ohio.

JANICE E. 11-22-2012 11:14 AM

My thought, I wouldn't care what month it blooms, just as long as it does bloom. Ever year I say I'll get one and never do. I guess because I just seem to manage my african violets, and whatever the two trees I have. It's beautiful, enjoy!

nannyrick 11-22-2012 11:23 AM

Oh my, that is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing.

LoisM 11-22-2012 11:31 AM

Your Christmas Catcus is absolutely beautiful. I love the color of the blossoms.

klgreene 11-22-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 5670222)
You must be doing something right. I am lucky if mine blooms!

Mine don't bloom either and they are my favorite flower. Those of you who have blooming ones, what is the secret??? I don't even have buds.

romanojg 11-22-2012 01:59 PM

Yours are great. They are also known to bloom at Easter. I consider it good luck when mine blooms in the winter and at Easter. Mine are still outside and getting blooms on them. It's almost time for them to come in.

romanojg 11-22-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene (Post 5673549)
Mine don't bloom either and they are my favorite flower. Those of you who have blooming ones, what is the secret??? I don't even have buds.

The way I get mine to bloom every yr is that as soon as the danger of frost is over I put them pot and all in a shady part of my flower garden and ignore them all summer. I don't bring them in until after Halloween, or when they start getting blooms on them. Mine has just started in the past couple of weeks. I have flowers every yr. I have good luck with these and Orchids, those I get to bloom yr round by putting them in front of a window with no direct sunlight. I move them outside when it gets hot out.

romanojg 11-22-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady (Post 5673501)
Many many yrs ago I lived in Oceanside, Cal. The whole street had the same bushes. I didn't understand it. Ahhhh! But come Dec...turns out they were all Poinsettia bushes. Absolutely beautiful to drive down the street. For a mile. Beautiful. Wish they lived like that here in Ohio.

You have to bring them in when it gets frost time and then let them be outside in the summer. Still have mine for the past couple yrs straight.