Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy poinsettia.......

Crazy poinsettia.......

Why do they call them Christmass Cactus when mine blooms in Nov......This one is 15 yrs old and thinks she can bloom Nov.Jan,March.Enjoy....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mary O; 11-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Mary

Oh how beautiful!

It's a Christmas cactus...not poinsettia. Different conditions affect their blooming. Mine are blooming right now also.

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful and congrats getting one to live to the ripe old age of 15!!! I'm lucky if I can keep one alive for the month of December
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Christmas cactus....Duh.......
    Mary

Blog Entries
    You must be doing something right. I am lucky if mine blooms!

mine is also blooming. it never blooms at christmas. mine is about 5 years old wow yours
    is really pretty.

Wow..that is one happy plant. Be glad it blooms at all! I have one that is about 25 yrs old and it stopped blooming for a few years but blooms now..all different times of the year.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Your Christmas Cactus is huge and beautiful!! I would be happy with it no matter when it bloomed! Enjoy! You must have a very green thumb!

I have one that is blooming right now and does every year from Nov to Jan. Mine is probably twice as big as yours and I have had it for 17 or 18 years.

Pat in MN

Blog Entries
    Mine blooms twice a year, and is more fuller and showy during November. It lasts in to December, and only one year has made it to Christmas. Yours is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Why not call it your Thanksgiving cactus?
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

When my BFF moved she gave me hers. It never bloomed for her. It has bloomed 3 times a year since she gave it to me 3 years ago. I think it likes where I put it. It is starting to bud right now.

Mine is starting to bloom, but I have found that feeding it plant food when watering helps keep it blooming for awhile. Mine is pink. I like the coral color.

I don't think you have a Poinsettia thereName:  Pointsettia.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  5.4 KB
    Last edited by jitkaau; 11-21-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    There are three kinds of those cacti - Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. Right now my mother's Easter Cactus is blooming, my Christmas Cactus just finished blooming and I don't have a Thanksgiving Cactus. Isn't God's garden something else????? Happy Thanksgiving! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Beautiful.I used to have one that was pink and white. It also blooms around Thanksgiving and several other times throughout the year. I had to give it to my mom because I am allergic to it when it blooms. Happy Thanksgiving.

Lovely! One of mine, that normally blooms in December, bloomed last summer. My mother had both Christmas and Easter cactus. Since the date of Easter is not fixed, is it any wonder they get confused? It is nice to see that these are treasured by others.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Oh! how beautiful. I have had one for eight years and it has never bloomed. What's your secret?

Mine are just beginning to bloom and they will continue to bloom for a month or so. I keep telling them they are supposed to wait till Christmas but they don't listen - just like kids!

Happy and blessed Thanksgiving to one and all.

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful plant! I've had no success with one. I think I just don't have a bright enough spot.

Family emergencies killed off my Christmas cactus collection. Sniff. Blow. Wipe. I am trying again.

But to get them to bloom during the holidays requires just a tad of playing around. It is light that signals to the plant that it is time to set buds. In early October I move mine around so it does not get any light other than natural sunlight. No artificial light of any kind. Not even a street lamp. That means mine wander through the house: I feed the cats and move my Christmas cacti - am and pm.

The poor baby I rescued at the hardware store decided to cover itself with buds. It turned a dark green after being a yellowish green when it came home. I have my fingers crossed. Oh, and one last thing. My African violets also died during the debacle and I had lots of AV food left. The abused Christmas cactus seems to like it. Now I am going to have to try potting the surviving bits and pieces of my original collection. AV potting soil is left over so I am going to try that out.

Merry Christmas cactus!

I think mine blooms every month but December. It's in full bloom right now and it's beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I had a crazy one that bloomed in July and October! Had to leave it with a friend when I moved.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Beautiful. I have been wanting one recently - very pretty.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast