Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crazy poinsettia.......

Thanksgiving cactus

I understand there is also one called "Thanksgiving Cactus". The petals are broader & thicker. Mine blooms before Thanksgiving. Yours is beaut.

That's a happy plant! Glad it is blooming so profuse for you!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Beautiful...mine are still babies compared to yours.
    Pat, Lover of Art Deco and Applique
    www.BobbinKnobbins.com

She's so gorgeous - she can be a diva if she wants!

Back in Sept, I carried mine to the laundry rm to water them, and left them sitting there until late Oct. No, I didn't water them and the laundry rm is dark. The 1st of Nov, I found them all shriveled up, watered them and set them back in the window. Within a week, they had perked up and were loaded w buds. They are small plants -1 pink, 1 coral- but are loaded w blooms.

Your Christmas cactus is beautiful! I have one that is the same color but it is much smaller. I love flowers especially in the winter!

Hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jenny

I wish I could get mine to do that. Where do you keep yours? I have to keep mine where the kitties don't eat it.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I have about 8 of them varying ages. Each time a piece breaks off I stick in the dirt and voila' I have yet another one. Most of them are in bloom right not and usually bloom twice a year. I find that when I forget to water and they get very dry and then I remember to water them. A few weeks later they start budding out. I have all colors, white, white with pink, red, peach, pink. Only one I don't have is the yellow one. Haven't had any luck getting them going.

Oh and they seem to do best in the window on the west side of the house. When I move them elsewhere they don't like it.

Oh my such beautiful plants wish i could raise plants I bought 6 plants this past summer and only 2 left.....No green thumb here lol

I think what you have is a Thanksgiving Cactus. The Christmas Cactus has a leaf that is more crab claw shape. The pals are very much alike.

Blog Entries
    My Ma has a "Christmas in July" Cactus. Blooms ever July like clockwork.

How simply gorgeous. I live in Ohio and a friend sent me a two leaves from Texas two years ago. I planted them in soil and they weren't doing too well. I put the little cuttings outside in the sun during the summer and when I brought the plant inside I had a bloom in Oct. It's ready to bloom one little flower again. How amazing and one day it may be as bright and pretty as yours. You definitly have a good thumb. I am buying another one too!!!! Annie

Blog Entries
    Wow. I didn't know they got that big. That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. All your plants look great. You must really have a green thumb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewfine View Post
    Oh! how beautiful. I have had one for eight years and it has never bloomed. What's your secret?
    Hang in there! I had one that didn't bloom for 7 years before it decided to bloom one Christmas. It bloomed for 5 years straight, always at Christmas. Then it decided not to bloom again for 2 years and decided to bloom again last February. I see that it has buds on it now so will bloom in the near future I guess. They are funny plants and seem to do what they want to.

Blog Entries
    I put mine in the closet where its dark in Oct. then take it out the first of Dec. so it will bloom for Christmas.

Very nice. I can't seem to keep them past the season.

Many many yrs ago I lived in Oceanside, Cal. The whole street had the same bushes. I didn't understand it. Ahhhh! But come Dec...turns out they were all Poinsettia bushes. Absolutely beautiful to drive down the street. For a mile. Beautiful. Wish they lived like that here in Ohio.
    have been happily divorced from the same guy for 39 years now! Yay!

Blog Entries
    My thought, I wouldn't care what month it blooms, just as long as it does bloom. Ever year I say I'll get one and never do. I guess because I just seem to manage my african violets, and whatever the two trees I have. It's beautiful, enjoy!

Oh my, that is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Your Christmas Catcus is absolutely beautiful. I love the color of the blossoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    You must be doing something right. I am lucky if mine blooms!
    Mine don't bloom either and they are my favorite flower. Those of you who have blooming ones, what is the secret??? I don't even have buds.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    Yours are great. They are also known to bloom at Easter. I consider it good luck when mine blooms in the winter and at Easter. Mine are still outside and getting blooms on them. It's almost time for them to come in.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene View Post
    Mine don't bloom either and they are my favorite flower. Those of you who have blooming ones, what is the secret??? I don't even have buds.
    The way I get mine to bloom every yr is that as soon as the danger of frost is over I put them pot and all in a shady part of my flower garden and ignore them all summer. I don't bring them in until after Halloween, or when they start getting blooms on them. Mine has just started in the past couple of weeks. I have flowers every yr. I have good luck with these and Orchids, those I get to bloom yr round by putting them in front of a window with no direct sunlight. I move them outside when it gets hot out.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
    Many many yrs ago I lived in Oceanside, Cal. The whole street had the same bushes. I didn't understand it. Ahhhh! But come Dec...turns out they were all Poinsettia bushes. Absolutely beautiful to drive down the street. For a mile. Beautiful. Wish they lived like that here in Ohio.
    You have to bring them in when it gets frost time and then let them be outside in the summer. Still have mine for the past couple yrs straight.
    Judy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast