Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Credit Card Information Compromised from Connecting Threads. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/credit-card-information-compromised-connecting-threads-t214012.html)

debcavan 02-16-2013 05:31 PM

Credit Card Information Compromised from Connecting Threads.

> Customers who had credit card numbers on file after using them at
> Knitpicks.com, ArtistsClub.com, or ConnectingThreads.com may have had
> their information exposed. A file on the Crafts Americana Group, Inc.
> servers was accessible for a period of time before being removed on
> January 25, 2013. The file contained names, credit card numbers,
> addresses, and phone numbers.
>
> Source:
> California Attorney General

This is the e mail I received this morning and I checked my account immediately and yes there was a $500 from New Zealand. They cancelled my card and are sending me a new one. The people dealing with me at the credit card company were very kind and so calm. Obviously they deal with this all the time. I gave them the information that I had received the e-mail and others had immediately e-mailed they had had charges but didn't know where they came from. This was a quilter's site. So that is why I checked. One lady had her credit card company call her but it went passed mine.

Teddybear Lady 02-16-2013 05:35 PM

Thanks for the information. We had our Discover card account hacked last spring. Had to get new cards. Got a call from Discover asking about some charges that didn't look right. So glad they are watching out for this stuff. I had a charge for a motel in California, iTunes, and something from Groupons. Weird selection I know.

crafty pat 02-16-2013 05:36 PM

I never use a credit card on line or mail order. If they won't take a check or money order they don't get my business.

EasyPeezy 02-16-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info. This is becoming a never ending problem.

NUBQ 02-16-2013 09:25 PM

debcaven..I got the same message a few days ago..I immediately checked my cc online .. and it seems to be OK.. sorry yours was compromised...These 3 sites are "sister sites". I'm sure most of you know this, but not I...Been using a CC at Artistclub.com for years with no problems..but these are different days..I'm going to use a check or paypal from now on..Mainly will try to spend cash locally, I think. Sometimes that is not possible, I know...
Yes, I read the thread on 'paypal' too...

Jan in VA 02-16-2013 09:55 PM

I, too, had this problem this Christmas, but where I was hacked was never found out (or, at least, not shared with me or the bank). My personal banker made a creative suggestion since I am not a paypal user due to some problems several years ago. They set me up with TWO checking accounts and labeled one of them as my "Shopping" account. It will remain at zero balance until I transfer $$ into it when I am ready to shop online.

I go to a site to order, determine how much the charge will be for my total purchase, move to my online banking site where I transfer the correct funds into the "shopping" account, go back into the ordering site and complete the transaction with them using a DEBIT card that only works on my particular "shopping" account. At that point, when the charge goes through, my "shopping" account balance at the bank goes back to zero, so it will benefit nobody to try to charge against it illegally.

The process takes a few extra minutes but I feel much safer than I used to.

Jan in VA

sweetana3 02-17-2013 03:50 AM

We use "one time only" numbers given by our CC company for use online. The number can only be used once and then is shut down.

Mauren 02-17-2013 04:04 AM

Hi

Thanks for the idea, I have to go to the bank tomorrow to set up a new account due to mine being compromised (the cheeky devils tried to get into the account by advising them that I had moved to another part of the country and would they send all my details to the new address- luckily my bank was on the alert) so when I go I am going to ask them to set up an account like yours. Mauren in UK

Suzette316 02-17-2013 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 (Post 5867010)
We use "one time only" numbers given by our CC company for use online. The number can only be used once and then is shut down.

I do the same. I love the ShopSafe cards I can create on my banking website. It makes online shopping so much safer.

Wonnie 02-17-2013 05:54 AM

From personal experience your account being compromised doesn't have to be on line...we had eaten at a new restaurant and paid with a credit card which anyone has access to once it leaves your hands. The next day I got a call from Bank of America about some suspicious charges that appeared on my account that same day totally over $10,000 dollars for purchases all over the country, New York, Las Vegas, etc....one for $5,000, (2) for $1,000, (1) for $1500, etc. Thankfully they had refused to pay them. The smallest and first one charged was for a pair of shoes from a company I never heard of but evidentally it rang a bell with them. They issued me a new card, of course, and put me on a list where my acc't is watched. If I make any large purchases like for car repairs I call them with the amount so they know what to be looking for and will pay it.
Don't know if they ever found out who did it.