Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   daylily question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/daylily-question-t198484.html)

May in Jersey 08-25-2012 05:21 AM

Daylilies native to our area did just OK this year, they are tall and orange. The yellow Stella D'Oro's did good and did rebloom but all the lilies need to be divided. Problem is that my arthritis prevents me from getting down in the dirt and gardening and my garden has gone downhill. This year the weeds have taken over and are taller than the plants. DH and I have limited energy to spend weeding but our biggest problem this year has been the heat being too much for us and the garden. I'm going to have someone come in and divide the lilies and other plants in the backyard, put down heavy weed block and plenty of mulch. That should keep the garden looking good for a few years with much work on our part but lots of enjoyment for us.

Suz 08-25-2012 06:42 AM

My daylilies are long gone and trimmed. The areas where they are grown seemed to have shrunk or thinned. Funny thing, my first spring color are my grape hyacinths. They too have died off and have been trimmed. BUT now they have sent out green leaf spikes and I am watching to see if they bloom again. Doubtful. Anyhow, the hyacinths usually stayed green all summer.

Me too. We grow lovely weeds. We could win the local weed contest if there were one.

MattieMae 08-25-2012 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Edie (Post 5466041)
.....Have any of you gotten the "It was a good garden, but I am tired of weeding, deadheading and watering feeling yet?......

This is where I’m at right now. Today I’m going to clean out the last of the green bean and cucumber stragglers. Tomato and pepper plants will stay. I’ll still deadhead the flowers and have to continue watering, just not as much. This was a bad garden year for me.

My day lilies are definitely done, but I’m sure they will come back next year.

Caroline S 08-25-2012 07:30 AM

Sounds like they are dry, dry, dry. Deep soaking during the summers helps keep them happy. Also consider how long they have been in the ground. After four or five years they do need digging and dividing. Those old clumps get big and don't absorb water well. If you are going to dig and divide, do it while the clumps are dry as they are not as heavy. If you have not dug daylilies before be prepared for some major work. Keep in mind that daylilies are almost impossible to kill.

Pinklady 08-25-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 5463362)
I agree with DogHouseMom. Daylillies adapt very well to their growing conditions. I got very little blooms this year ..... same with iris and other perenial flowers. I'm looking forward to a better summer next year. Weeds did very well considering.

I agree, not many flowers, but beautiful weeds. They filled every space just fine.:D

Latrinka 08-25-2012 02:21 PM

I don't know bout daylilies, but we've had problems with many of our flowers between the heat and the bugs!

neenee586 08-25-2012 03:23 PM

this was a horrible, horrible summer for many perennial gardeners. Your lilies are there, so just clean them up, they will come back next year. I did water mine good after the weeks and weeks of hot, dry weather, what a bust!

trolleystation 08-25-2012 04:17 PM

When they had more dead looking leaves, in July, I cut them down. Guess what------They are back About eight inches tall already and now I am not sure what they are going to do. Should be an interesting fall. Your neighbor in Hamburg, NY

DaylilyDawn 08-25-2012 04:35 PM

My daylilies are doing OK with the rain we have been getting. But as far as dead leaves on them leave them on the plant. If you live where your daylilies go dormant for the winter. The dead leaves will act as insulation for the roots. I see that one poster said that the dayliliy is a bulb. Not so . Daylilies are Hemerocallis. Lilies are Lilium lilium Two very separate Latin classes of plants. Roots on a daylily are tuberous and fibrous. They can be orange in color or tan depending on the soil they are grown.. If you would like to learn more about daylilies visit the American Hemerocallis Society at this website www.daylilies.org I am a member of this society and we are always trying to teach the correct information about daylilies .

CindyA 08-25-2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn (Post 5467728)
My daylilies are doing OK with the rain we have been getting. But as far as dead leaves on them leave them on the plant. If you live where your daylilies go dormant for the winter. The dead leaves will act as insulation for the roots. I see that one poster said that the dayliliy is a bulb. Not so . Daylilies are Hemerocallis. Lilies are Lilium lilium Two very separate Latin classes of plants. Roots on a daylily are tuberous and fibrous. They can be orange in color or tan depending on the soil they are grown.. If you would like to learn more about daylilies visit the American Hemerocallis Society at this website www.daylilies.org I am a member of this society and we are always trying to teach the correct information about daylilies .

So leave the dead leaves on them all winter? Then can I cut them off in the spring to clean up the area? I think I'm zone 7 (Virginia).

P.S. thanks for the link. That is a great source!