Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Definitely not a quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/definitely-not-quilting-question-t271812.html)

illinois 11-03-2015 04:08 AM

Definitely not a quilting question

Time to sort out around here and came across a number of bowling trophies received by my mother-in-law, who has been gone about 20 years. What to do with those as my hubs is gone now, too? I'm sure none of the other family would treasure them either.

Jeanne S 11-03-2015 04:28 AM

It probably sounds bad but I would toss them in the trash if no one else wanted them and if they were not recyclable. I am not very sentimental with "stuff" and prefer to get rid of clutter.

Tartan 11-03-2015 05:02 AM

​If you have a bowling alley, call them to see if the name plaque can be removed. They can maybe repurpose them for a tournament?

psychonurse 11-03-2015 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7364866)
​If you have a bowling alley, call them to see if the name plaque can be removed. They can maybe repurpose them for a tournament?

I agree. maybe a youth team can use them, no expense to them.

ptquilts 11-03-2015 05:57 AM

I would offer them on Freecycle, you never know who might want them.

QuiltnNan 11-03-2015 07:28 AM

i saw a DIY project where the trophies were used as coat hooks... some bowler might use them

grmamrtha1 11-03-2015 07:54 AM

Years ago, perhaps 20 or more, I donated our bowling trophies to our local Downs Syndrome group, and they reused them by taking off the labels and replacing them with new labels for bowlers with downs syndrome on a league. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they received their trophy. Also gave them our children's baseball and basketball trophies, as Special Olympics will reuse them also. Or at least they did way back then. You can give it a try.
Really like QuiltnNan's idea.

thimblebug6000 11-03-2015 08:06 AM

Yes, our bowling alley likes them to use for the special needs trophies. In our 55+ group now they don't give the trophies except for perfect attendance of over xxx years.... I don't have to worry about getting any of them now.

tessagin 11-03-2015 08:16 AM

I would still ask the family members if they want them. My niece stopped over on Halloween with her daughter. Gave her a newspaper clipping of her and her father many years ago. She said she had a lot of "stuff" her mother gave her, about 9 huge clear container boxes. A lot of blankets and things my parents gave them. She hadn't opened any of the boxes in 10 years. Told her since it was "stuff" my folks gave them to do with what she wanted. Donate any and all of it if she wanted. She might want to do a quick look see if there is any security information then shred it. Donate the rest. Containers and all.

ManiacQuilter2 11-03-2015 08:18 AM

Yes, recycle them. I have seen American Pickers buy some on their show. Drop them off at a resale store or a bowling alley.