Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Definitely not a quilting question

Definitely not a quilting question

Time to sort out around here and came across a number of bowling trophies received by my mother-in-law, who has been gone about 20 years. What to do with those as my hubs is gone now, too? I'm sure none of the other family would treasure them either.

It probably sounds bad but I would toss them in the trash if no one else wanted them and if they were not recyclable. I am not very sentimental with "stuff" and prefer to get rid of clutter.

Power Poster
    ​If you have a bowling alley, call them to see if the name plaque can be removed. They can maybe repurpose them for a tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​If you have a bowling alley, call them to see if the name plaque can be removed. They can maybe repurpose them for a tournament?
    I agree. maybe a youth team can use them, no expense to them.

I would offer them on Freecycle, you never know who might want them.

Blog Entries
    i saw a DIY project where the trophies were used as coat hooks... some bowler might use them
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Years ago, perhaps 20 or more, I donated our bowling trophies to our local Downs Syndrome group, and they reused them by taking off the labels and replacing them with new labels for bowlers with downs syndrome on a league. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they received their trophy. Also gave them our children's baseball and basketball trophies, as Special Olympics will reuse them also. Or at least they did way back then. You can give it a try.
    Really like QuiltnNan's idea.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.

Yes, our bowling alley likes them to use for the special needs trophies. In our 55+ group now they don't give the trophies except for perfect attendance of over xxx years.... I don't have to worry about getting any of them now.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would still ask the family members if they want them. My niece stopped over on Halloween with her daughter. Gave her a newspaper clipping of her and her father many years ago. She said she had a lot of "stuff" her mother gave her, about 9 huge clear container boxes. A lot of blankets and things my parents gave them. She hadn't opened any of the boxes in 10 years. Told her since it was "stuff" my folks gave them to do with what she wanted. Donate any and all of it if she wanted. She might want to do a quick look see if there is any security information then shred it. Donate the rest. Containers and all.

Yes, recycle them. I have seen American Pickers buy some on their show. Drop them off at a resale store or a bowling alley.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Talk to someone at a bowling alley and see if they know of a children's group that can make use of them
    Carmen E.

Give them to charity. A friend of mine is involved with a group of mentally handicapped adults and they give them trophies all the time. Doesn't matter what it is.

When my father died, he had trophies for basketball, softball, etc. A few he'd attached frames and pictures of the teams, so people who were in the photos, got the trophies. Those without, we gave to the Boys Club. They could recycle them for their sports by changing the plaques of events and names. Recycling and saving the Club money.

Blog Entries
    *** The plaques are removable (they are only on with sticky tape).
    *** Some children's league will probably be glad to get them.
    *** I many years ago at a yard sale and they were bought for the bases alone for a baseball team.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I put out some auto racing/rallying trophies in a garage sale. Several kids wanted one. They sold for 25 cents and the kids were thrilled. The rest were donated.

You might also check with your local store that makes and sells trophies as to whether they can refurbish them for further use.

Our grandsons grabbed all of DH's car trophies -- they figure prominently in some games they play.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

A friend of ours has a trophy shop and they take them back and then when some group with little or no money needs some trophies they can make them up and they look brand new.