Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dental (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dental-t21226.html)

tlrnhi 06-12-2009 04:37 AM

WOW!!
Just for a root canal WITH insurance covering it, cost me out of pocket...hope you are sitting down........$800

Bevanger 06-12-2009 05:09 AM

If she has SSI, she should be getting Medical via DSHS??? Every state is different

tlrnhi 06-12-2009 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
With insurance Terri? That is incredible! and disgusting. Poor you!

United Concordia.
Hate them, but that's what we have. Thought about getting a supplemental, but was just way too much.

amma 06-12-2009 06:13 AM

Most of the dental policies out here only cover root canals at 50% which comes to atleast $800 or those that pay at 80%, one root canal wipes out your benefits for a whole year (they usually average approx $1500) This includes Blue Cross/BlueShield...it's horrible coverage.

PrettyKitty 06-12-2009 07:31 AM

gosh, I'm never going to complain about the cost of dental treatment again! Even when my dentist sent me to have two wisdom teeth extracted (at the same time, yowch) last year, at the dental hospital, WITH intravenous sedation, for some reason it still got covered under the £45 fee I had already paid.

MadQuilter 06-12-2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
All done over the course of three visits to the cost of just £46 (USD $77)

ONE cleaning for me is more than that. Yikes!

tlrnhi 06-12-2009 07:28 PM

With cleaning, here on Guam, I pay nothing....in HI, I had to pay like $6 for the taxes. Yup, had to pay the taxes on it.

Tippy 06-12-2009 08:47 PM

I'm not positive, but if you qualify for Medicare, check with AARP.. they might have something.

mommaB 06-13-2009 06:39 AM

I have insurance (metlife) and a mouthful of root canals, crowns, even an implant!! The only thing I get 100% covered is 2 cleanings per year, and the cost is deducted from the $1500 max benefit. When I had to have a root canal and crown in the same year, I paid in excess of $1000 in addition to ins. premiums!!! Root canals run about $800-900 and crown $600-900. I think before I retire and have only $5000 benefit for the rest of my life, I'll get them all yanked and dentures!!!

Skeat 06-13-2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
WOW!!
Just for a root canal WITH insurance covering it, cost me out of pocket...hope you are sitting down........$800

Same here terri....in fact I just had a bad 2 weeks w/an infection that went all the way to an eye causing swelling and much pain till I could get into the surgeon. Only to find out it was a 3 cracker(cracks)! And, had to be pulled...never want to go thru that again!! I took the cheaper route on the insurance and it cost me $28 over the other choice of being knocked out for almost 400! I was thinking 'fabric' instead! Still not in great shape, but, better!! I don't know what I'd done w/o insurance.

I'm not sure if AARP has a dental option or not. I know my FIL had the reg insurance and they were great...might check there. Skeat