Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   depression glass (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/depression-glass-t98853.html)

butterflywing 02-13-2011 12:18 PM

that is just SO sweet of you to make that offer. i know what a hardship that would be :lol: :lol:.

Qbee 02-13-2011 12:37 PM

ROFL!! :D :D Yes...yes....ugh...the pain...but you know....what we won't do for friends ;)
It really is a BEAUTIFUL collection though....I know you enjoy it!

Originally Posted by butterflywing
that is just SO sweet of you to make that offer. i know what a hardship that would be :lol: :lol:.

butterflywing 02-13-2011 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee

I also heard that alot of these dishes were handed out free at gas stations when you filled up or from soap powder boxes back during that time and into the war.

my grandmother's entire set of passover dishes (for 12) with flat soups, creamed soups with handles, full sized plates, lunch plates, salad plates, small, medium and large covered servers, matching juice and water glasses, and two sized serving platters ALL CAME FREE FROM THE MOVIE THEATERS. every time my mom or her sister or brothers went to the movies, they each brought their pieces home. if all your kids went to the same theater all the time for long enough you could end up with a giant set of dishes. my mother always said it took them all over a year to get everything my grandmother wanted. then she hid it away except for one week each year. it cost 5* to go to the movies.
that represented a lot of money over all that time.

Carron 02-13-2011 03:28 PM

I have an entire table setting set of the depression glass pink...not sure of the pattern (packed way) plus extra pieces including a water pitcher that I use now.

butterflywing 02-13-2011 03:40 PM

it just knocks me out that so much of it even survived. it reminds me that i have other 'collections' hidden way that i really should look at and get rid of. antique tins and baskets, etc. also antique dust mice.

nlgh 02-13-2011 07:19 PM

I have a few ieces of several different patterns, whatever caught my eye at the time. I also have a collection of cups and saucers, a few angels, and some figurines.

Anne T 02-13-2011 07:30 PM

Have a complete set of green jadite. Kept collecting it until I had a complete set of 12. Told my son it was his inheritance.:)

Pat G 02-13-2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
Just wondering if any quilters out there are also depression glass collectors and if so what pattern/s.

My huge glass collection isn't considered Depression but is "Early American Pattern Glass" in Moon & Star & Eyewinker.
I need to get rid of most of it now though since I need to sell my house soon.

Dee 02-13-2011 08:50 PM

I have a green set, pink bunny.

june6995 02-13-2011 09:08 PM

i searched all the responded to see if anyone collects the Blue Delphite Cherry Blossom made by Jeanette Glass company in Pennsylvania, during the depression. I was given the child's set of play dishes when I was about 5 years old. It was stored away for years, and to my delight I learned it had increased in value. what was 99C in 1939, was worth over $500 when I last checked, about 10 years ago.

Somewhere about 20 years ago my husband challenged me to see if I could assemble a set of adult dinnerware. I spent about 10 years searching antique shop and collected a good many pieces, but moving from our House to a condo, all was packed in boxes and are still there on the shelves in the basement.

Sorry I don't have photos to share. Perhaps they are on a Depression glass site on the web. It is not clear like the pink is, but is an blue opaque glass. Unusual.

June in Cincinnati