Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Desperately need cleaning tip! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/desperately-need-cleaning-tip-t272256.html)

Rose_P 11-14-2015 08:18 PM

Desperately need cleaning tip!

Please, does anyone know how to get blue dye from jeans off of a beige leather car seat?! I'd rather not say who was responsible for this situation! The jeans had been washed several times, but still rubbed off.

ctrysass2012 11-14-2015 08:26 PM

Try Windex or I have read hair spray mentioned here often. You might also try a Mr. Clean erasure. Not to scrub but just get wet & gently wipe over the spot.

Feather3 11-14-2015 10:01 PM

I am wondering if a damp "color catcher sheet" will do the job. As far as using cleaners on leather you have to treat it afterwards with a leather conditioner or the leather will dry out & crack.

I googled jeans dye/leather seats, but there are so many suggestions it's hard to say which one will work best. I got everything from Dawn dish detergent to using Turtle wax.

The dye used in jeans never fully dries, hence it rubs off on just about anything.

DOTTYMO 11-14-2015 11:05 PM

I had the same problem with a navy dress on white leather seats. I went to the garage and asked their cleaners if they could help. They gave me a small bottle of their seat cleaning solution after they cleaned it for me. I kept the bottle for years to clean leather seats in car. You have to be very careful what you put on the leather.
hope you get as quick a fix as I did. No idea of a name.

sparkys_mom 11-15-2015 04:04 AM

Yuck! I bought a car this year with light gray leather seats and I wear jeans all the time. I've been wondering how much trouble these are going to give me.

NJ Quilter 11-15-2015 04:50 AM

Do not use Windex (or any window cleaner) on the leather. It's spots/discolors the leather. We have leather (dark burgundy) sofa/love seat. DH was 'helping' me one day and decided to clean windows. Dribbled the window cleaner over the leather. What more needs to be said.

tessagin 11-15-2015 05:11 AM

I would let the manufacturer of the jeans know what's going on. I have a couple of friends who wear jeans constantly and have light leather seats. Have never heard of them having problems with their jeans discoloring their leather seats. Will keep that in mind though and have to ask.

Snooze2978 11-15-2015 05:42 AM

A couple summers ago someone had dropped a magic pen on my back seats which are fabric. Someone mentioned using alcohol on it and it worked. The ink had been on the fabric for a couple weeks before I noticed it as I never sit in the back and it came out. Didn't come out of the seatbelt though, just the fabric on the seats.

misspriss 11-15-2015 06:12 AM

Is there a Tandy's close by. My husband use to do leather work and used something to clean the leather but I don't remember what t was but do know he bought it at Tandy's. Since you are in the Dallas area check the saddle makers or boot makers.

QuiltingVagabond 11-15-2015 07:26 AM

Hair spray should remove it.