Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dial Telephones (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dial-telephones-t243089.html)

Jannie 03-12-2014 07:23 PM

Dial Telephones

My friend sent this to me today. A lot of us remember these phones. How times have changed. Take a look, these kids are cute. (I hope this works) http://www.people.com/people/article...793388,00.html

Crqltr 03-12-2014 08:29 PM

Yup I remember our old #PI (pilgrim) always preceded a #. Relatives across town was CE (cedar). When we moved to northern Michigan our dial phones were all party lines. Four familys to one line. Always fun...for the nosey aunt!!

Debbie C 03-14-2014 03:36 AM

you're going to laugh - I STILL have in use my 1976 original standing Mickey Mouse rotary phone. It proudly sits on my desk in the home office - lol

leatheflea 03-14-2014 05:02 AM

My parents still have 2 rotary phones in there house, they were the original phones that they bought when they built the house 40 years ago. They can get calls on them but they can't call out. Of couse they have the standard land line up to to date phones for calling out. Mom says she can't see replacing them if they still work.

tessagin 03-14-2014 05:21 AM

My dad used to work for the phone company. If any phones were out of kilter, he asked and would get permission to bring them home. He would fix them up and run lines throughout the house. We did not have a large home, but there was a phone in every room and yes even the bathroom. Once when my sister and mother and I were home we were on the phone to my aunt. We had a signal when we had an emergency. It was to let the other person know we needed help. Someone had broken into my dad's shed so we told my aunt that "Dad nearly burnt the shed down". Neighbors were at our house in minutes and held the guy til police got there. The thing was we were on a 4 party line and so was my aunt so multiply by 2, you have 8 people. We knew there was someone in the shed because my dad had a very loud ticking clock and you could here it in the back ground. We had the "Princess style", French, Cat, large speaker, phone with rotary dial in receiver, phone with pushbutton in receiver. Just about any style. He did eventually take the phone out of the bathroom. You could tell where dad was in the house by the way he answered the phone. Once the priest called and Dad answered, " Bob's *&%# house. I'll let you guess where he was. He was so embarrassed when he saw the priest the next morning.

DebbieJJ 03-14-2014 05:48 AM

We both laughed all thru it! We both used to work at GTE (we made telephones, and we made some of the 1st "flip-phones"), we recognized that phone as one we used to build in the '70's and '80's. We still have one we bought in 1978, and we still use it when the power goes off and our cordless phones won't work. Some people only use our house phone number, others have that and our cell phone numbers.:)

pennycandy 03-14-2014 06:55 AM

Going to my house is like a trip to a museum for my 3 year old grandson. I have 2 rotary phones, 2 pushbutton phones and an answering machine. I do own a cell phone but it's not a smart phone.
Sometimes new technology is inferior to old. The old bell ringer has an advantage over the electronic ringer in noisy environments or those with hearing impairment.

michelleoc 03-14-2014 07:38 AM

Oh my goodness, that was so cute! It's unbelievable how long it used to take just to dial the phone. My DS lost his phone privileges and wanted to call a friend. I said that he could just call from our home phone. He said he didn't know his friend's number. Heaven forbid he should have his friend's number somewhere other than programmed into his phone!

quiltstringz 03-14-2014 08:17 AM

That was so cute - thanks for sharing

junipergal 03-14-2014 08:46 AM

Melrose 2460