Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dial Telephones

Dial Telephones

My friend sent this to me today. A lot of us remember these phones. How times have changed. Take a look, these kids are cute. (I hope this works) http://www.people.com/people/article...793388,00.html

Blog Entries
    Yup I remember our old #PI (pilgrim) always preceded a #. Relatives across town was CE (cedar). When we moved to northern Michigan our dial phones were all party lines. Four familys to one line. Always fun...for the nosey aunt!!

you're going to laugh - I STILL have in use my 1976 original standing Mickey Mouse rotary phone. It proudly sits on my desk in the home office - lol

My parents still have 2 rotary phones in there house, they were the original phones that they bought when they built the house 40 years ago. They can get calls on them but they can't call out. Of couse they have the standard land line up to to date phones for calling out. Mom says she can't see replacing them if they still work.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My dad used to work for the phone company. If any phones were out of kilter, he asked and would get permission to bring them home. He would fix them up and run lines throughout the house. We did not have a large home, but there was a phone in every room and yes even the bathroom. Once when my sister and mother and I were home we were on the phone to my aunt. We had a signal when we had an emergency. It was to let the other person know we needed help. Someone had broken into my dad's shed so we told my aunt that "Dad nearly burnt the shed down". Neighbors were at our house in minutes and held the guy til police got there. The thing was we were on a 4 party line and so was my aunt so multiply by 2, you have 8 people. We knew there was someone in the shed because my dad had a very loud ticking clock and you could here it in the back ground. We had the "Princess style", French, Cat, large speaker, phone with rotary dial in receiver, phone with pushbutton in receiver. Just about any style. He did eventually take the phone out of the bathroom. You could tell where dad was in the house by the way he answered the phone. Once the priest called and Dad answered, " Bob's *&%# house. I'll let you guess where he was. He was so embarrassed when he saw the priest the next morning.

We both laughed all thru it! We both used to work at GTE (we made telephones, and we made some of the 1st "flip-phones"), we recognized that phone as one we used to build in the '70's and '80's. We still have one we bought in 1978, and we still use it when the power goes off and our cordless phones won't work. Some people only use our house phone number, others have that and our cell phone numbers.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Going to my house is like a trip to a museum for my 3 year old grandson. I have 2 rotary phones, 2 pushbutton phones and an answering machine. I do own a cell phone but it's not a smart phone.
    Sometimes new technology is inferior to old. The old bell ringer has an advantage over the electronic ringer in noisy environments or those with hearing impairment.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Oh my goodness, that was so cute! It's unbelievable how long it used to take just to dial the phone. My DS lost his phone privileges and wanted to call a friend. I said that he could just call from our home phone. He said he didn't know his friend's number. Heaven forbid he should have his friend's number somewhere other than programmed into his phone!

That was so cute - thanks for sharing

Melrose 2460

This is great.

Very Funny! I love the one kid, who said on being presented with the cell phone, made some comment about why we are de-evolving.

Blog Entries
    I keep one in the house in case of power outages. The dial phones don't require electricity to work.

Cute! My husband misses the rotary phone we had about 10 years ago. I do not. I used to have bad dreams that I needed to call for help and the dialing was soooooo slow! When I was little we had party lines. Can't even imagine that these days.
    Lori

I remember our phone number was prescott PR1.... One time someone called and said is this 771... and I said no cause we were so use to using PR. Funny how times change.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    My friend sent this to me today. A lot of us remember these phones. How times have changed. Take a look, these kids are cute. (I hope this works) http://www.people.com/people/article...793388,00.html
    Thanks for the memories. I love the reactions of these kids. I still have a rotary phone I took to my 1st grade class each year and showed my students-they had almost the same reaction. I retired 2004,and most of the younger kids did not have their own phones then- my how fast things change in just 10 year.

Blog Entries
    That was cute. We have a landline in the house too-it is not a rotary but it doesn't require electricity either. It's a pushbutton from the 80s. We also have a rotary phone but it is OLD and doesn't work. It has two wires coming out of it instead of a phone jack thing. It's a paperweight.

THANK YOU for posting this link! My husband has been collectin vintage and antique phones for 30 years. I showed this to him and he loved it! We have about 50 antique phones in our family room and there are probably another 200 in his basement workshop. We haven't used a rotary phone for decades, of course. But I'm really struggling to get the hang of the new Iphone I just got! I need to hand it to a 10 year old to explain it to me.

really cute, had a good laugh. Barb
    be happy

That was very cute. We had big black phones even more outdated than that yellow one. Hard wired into the lines. Linden-2-7065J. And it started as a party line. We still have a landline and one of our phones plugs into a jack. We lose electricity here often enough to keep a plug in phone.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    That was so cute!!! I remember how excited I was when we got an extension phone and it was push button!!! LOL!!!Does anyone remember when the area codes started changing? I was placing an order with JCPenney and the phone rep would not believe that our area code had changed. Took a bit to convince her.
    Sherri

Oh, how well I remember misdialing halfway through a number and having to start all over again! And we thought we were all that and a bag of chips when we finally got a pushbutton! Of course, it had a 25' cord and I could wander all around the house while I talked. Ironically, I can't wander as much now with my cell phone because I'll lose signal! I also miss the ability to scrunch the handset between my head and shoulder. But I like being able to call my husband from the middle of the grocery store to make sure we don't need anything else.

As a funny side note - my MIL, who doesn't change for ANYTHING, let alone technology, finally had to give up her party line in the 1980s because the phone company told her they would no longer support it. She held on to the end, though!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Blog Entries
    We keep our old rotary dial land line phone handy all winter in case of a power outage. We have lived in this house for 40+ years and when we first moved here we were on a 10 party line. One day I picked up the phone to hear one "lady" say to the other - " stay on the line while I go peel potatoes for supper - don't want to give up the phone just yet". Then, one of the lines was inside of the little country store about 1/2 mile up the road (gone now) and people without phones would go to the store and use their phone. Sometimes they would forget to hang it back up and when I picked up my phone to use it - I could hear people talking at the store and hear the "ding" of the door when they went in and out. If I wanted to use the phone really bad, I would have to drive to the store and walk in and then go to the phone and hang it up. But, by the time I would get home somebody else would be using the phone. Don't miss those days at all.
    Nikki in MO

Still remember my first phone number. Emerson 36697.
    I kinda miss dialing the rotary!