Dial Telephones

Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 PM

That was so cute!!! I remember how excited I was when we got an extension phone and it was push button!!! LOL!!!Does anyone remember when the area codes started changing? I was placing an order with JCPenney and the phone rep would not believe that our area code had changed. Took a bit to convince her.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM

Oh, how well I remember misdialing halfway through a number and having to start all over again! And we thought we were all that and a bag of chips when we finally got a pushbutton! Of course, it had a 25' cord and I could wander all around the house while I talked. Ironically, I can't wander as much now with my cell phone because I'll lose signal! I also miss the ability to scrunch the handset between my head and shoulder. But I like being able to call my husband from the middle of the grocery store to make sure we don't need anything else.

As a funny side note - my MIL, who doesn't change for ANYTHING, let alone technology, finally had to give up her party line in the 1980s because the phone company told her they would no longer support it. She held on to the end, though!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM

We keep our old rotary dial land line phone handy all winter in case of a power outage. We have lived in this house for 40+ years and when we first moved here we were on a 10 party line. One day I picked up the phone to hear one "lady" say to the other - " stay on the line while I go peel potatoes for supper - don't want to give up the phone just yet". Then, one of the lines was inside of the little country store about 1/2 mile up the road (gone now) and people without phones would go to the store and use their phone. Sometimes they would forget to hang it back up and when I picked up my phone to use it - I could hear people talking at the store and hear the "ding" of the door when they went in and out. If I wanted to use the phone really bad, I would have to drive to the store and walk in and then go to the phone and hang it up. But, by the time I would get home somebody else would be using the phone. Don't miss those days at all.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Still remember my first phone number. Emerson 36697.
I kinda miss dialing the rotary!