Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did ya ever... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-ya-ever-t67636.html)

Barbm 09-30-2010 05:27 PM

chocolate gravy? for real? for breakfast? over biscuits? I'll pass, sounds too weird for me.

cjomomma 09-30-2010 05:39 PM

Chcolate gravy is to die for. We put ours on waffles.

leaha 09-30-2010 05:50 PM

I never heard of such a thing, bet DH would like it, LOL

dakotamaid 09-30-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Chcolate gravy is to die for. We put ours on waffles.

Yummmmmmmmmy!!!!!!!!!

littlehud 09-30-2010 06:11 PM

Yum. I'm trying this one. Paula Dean never led me wrong.

CarrieAnne 09-30-2010 06:19 PM

Ive never heard of it either, but I BET its AWESOMEon wafles and pancakes. Isnt EVERYTHING better with chocolate?????????

madamekelly 09-30-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
chocolate gravy? for real? for breakfast? over biscuits? I'll pass, sounds too weird for me.

Honestly, that's what I thought before the first bite...

Ditter43 09-30-2010 07:38 PM

The chocolate gravy my friends in Arkansas made was like regular gravy with cocoa added. Some people added a small amount of sugar, some didn't. It was good, but more like gravy then pudding..... :-D

adyldrop 09-30-2010 07:40 PM

sounds like when i make belgium waffles for breakfast and have chocolate syrup on top instead of maple syrup....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

texas granny 09-30-2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Did you ever have something to eat, in a home or a restaurant, that you would give your right arm to find the recipe for? I was in my friend's, great grandmother's home, when I was a teenager, and was served breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, biscuits, and chocolate gravy. Sounds bizarre, but that chocolate gravy was one of the best things to ever hit my tongue. I never thought to ask her how she made it, nor do I have anyway of finding that long-lost friend, so I guess unless one of you has some idea, I will just remember it fondly. The worst thing ever served to me, was NOT what I thought I had ordered in a restaurant. I wanted Chili and corn bread. This is one of my favorite combos. Never order it in Tennessee. Evidently in Tennessee, what we call cornbread doesn't exist. (You know, that bright yellow, cake looking corn bread.) In some parts of the south, they serve what I always saw as "Hoecakes". In this restaurant, it was made with white corn meal. Imagine a damp, anemic looking pancake that has NO color. Ewwwe! :thumbdown:

Sorry I don't have the gravy recipe to give but i do have a carnbread recipe i have been making for 40+ years

I cup yellow corn meal, I heaping TablespoonFlour,
I /2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg 1&1/4 cups buttermilk, 1Tablespoon oil.

Mix dry ingredients together.Mix well. The add the wet ingredients along with the eeg beaten. Mix well and pour into cast Iron pan That has been sprayed with a oil and that has been heated to 350
bake @350 for 20 min.
I hope you like this as much as my family and friends have over the years.