Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did you have a poodle skirt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-you-have-poodle-skirt-t166930.html)

Lisanne 11-08-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by lorimax5859 (Post 4651787)
Had the skirt (can't remember the color though). Also had the penny loafers that you put a penny in the little slot on the front of the shoe. Remember?

I wasn't born until a couple of months before the '50s ended, but those penny loafers were popular right up through the late '60s. I so wanted a pair, but I was pigeon toed as a child, and my mother made me wear corrective shoes. An aunt felt I should get to wear fun shoes once in a while and bought me a pair of loafers. I adored them so much, I went outside and danced in them. She warned me I'd wear them out, and I did, that same day, lol. Didn't matter, my mother wouldn't let me wear them anyway when she found out. By the time my feet were pronounced straight by the doctor, they were wide and I wasn't able to fit into most fashionable shoes, but I do remember having a pair of tassel loafers at some point.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers about poodle skirt colors. Also for the link to the round skirt site. You know. I'm really hankering for fifties womanly fashions these days, for some reason. Boat neck, three-quarter-sleeve tops, feminine blouses, round skirts... understand, I really live in jeans, but still.

mighty 11-08-2011 08:40 AM

I did not have one I was to little. I remember wanting one.

LadyElisabeth 11-08-2011 05:32 PM

I still have a black felt with white poodle and a pink felt with black poodle. I also have saddle shoes and a letter jacket.

sewn3w 11-09-2011 04:33 AM

Mine was black. It had a telephone (dial type!) on one side and the receiver on the other side with a red cord attaching them. My can-can was red with black and red plaid trim on the bottom.

Scraps 11-09-2011 05:01 AM

Mine was gray -

sewmuchmore 11-09-2011 05:14 AM

I did not have one but my sister did grey and pink and black poodle !!!

TanyaL 11-09-2011 03:49 PM

I think mine was magenta with a white poodle on it. I know the poodle was white. The skirt was felt. The poodle had a collar on it and a metal leash that was swagged - maybe up to the waist, I'm not sure where the other end was fastened.

quiltjoey 11-09-2011 04:18 PM

What a great memory that I hadn't thought about in years! I had a black taffeta skirt that had velvet swirls on it. The poodle was white and made out of some kind of curly material (don't know what). The leash and collar were made out of pink plastic of some kind. The collar had rhinestones on it. The skirt came down to midcalf and rustled when I walked! It was like I was a princess when I wore it! I wore black saddle oxfords with "bobby" socks! I usually wore a white ruffelly blouse with a black cardigan sweater. What a hoot I must have been!! How I would loved to have had a picture me in it...

Originally Posted by Lisanne (Post 4649003)
If you had a poodle skirt back in the 1950s, what color was it? I just got to wondering what colors these came in. It's one fashion trend I'd love to see return (for the teens, not me).

MadQuilter 11-09-2011 05:54 PM

Born in '58 so I have neither poodle nor skirt.

luvstoquilt 11-10-2011 09:27 AM

My poodle skirt was black with a white poodle. I had 2 other felt skirts as well..One was aqua with a big snowflake on it made with rhinestones the other was pink and had rows or cording around it about 2/3 of the way down and again nearer the bottom. I loved those skirts!