Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   DIFFERENT NAMES (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/different-names-t56242.html)

everybody's mother 01-01-2011 03:38 PM

My given name is Barbara. Plain & simple. My little brother called me "snaggle-toof''. How did I like it? Not! Then until I was 24 it was Bobbie, then mom forever, even when I'm not, so I guess that is why I chose it for this board. I feel kind of honored now, but it bugged me when I was younger. Guess it was because of 7 kids. They all have nice names. Short and easy to spell.

quilter on the eastern edge 01-01-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
When I was a child I didn't like the fact that my name means "foreign, stranger". Then my mother told me that a woman we knew had changed her name from Barbara to Caroline and I was insulted that she no longer wanted the name Barbara. Now my oldest friends and family call me Barbara and my newer acquaintances call me Barb. I grew up thinking it was an unusual name, but widened my world and discovered it's quite common :)

Mine is Barbara too. I didn't have any nicknames growing up except that people shorten it to Barb which I don't like. I can be quite rude to anyone who calls me Barbie!

I taught for 30 years and in all that time I taught only 1 Barbara. I think it is sort of an old-fashioned name of the 30's and 40's and the other Barbara's I know are all about my age or older. I was named after my aunt.

ArtisticDesign 01-01-2011 03:49 PM

lol Barbara, My comp name has been Ivy- after my cat for 13 yrs

frogella 01-01-2011 04:39 PM

I named my daughter Genesis. She was the first one. When her brother was born I wanted to name him Leviticus, or Exodus, but his father named him Keith. Never have liked his name. I have always just called him K. Genesis didn't mind the name.

kateyb 01-01-2011 05:02 PM

My middle name is Beatrice and until Beatrice Arthur became known no one ever pronounced it right.
One of my cousin's name was Jim but the family called him Bimbo even into adulthood.
So things could be worse.

GrammaO 01-01-2011 05:38 PM

I never cared for my name either. It's Terri Lee, after the Terri Lee doll (what was my mother thinking?). Growing up in the sixties and seventies it was pretty common, there was 4 of us in my 4th grade class and we went all the way through high school together. Most people always want to spell it with a 'y'. My daughters are Traci (with and i) and Holli (with an i). When my third daughter came along I couldn't come up with a name I liked to keep that pattern going so she is Christa, but her middle name is Lee.

Hen3rietta 01-02-2011 08:38 AM

My first name is fine - Diana, but I figured I would lose my last name if I ever got married. Unfortunately, or fortunately because he is still my number one guy even after 20 years, I married the last name of Heiney. It proved a real problem for our son in his younger grades. Even the teachers. We even offered to change our name for him but he declined. It is however a good thing that he comes from many generations of large farming stock in past generations on both sides and now has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

maryb119 01-02-2011 09:24 AM

My name is Mary Jane. When I started school, the middle name was dropped and I became just Mary. My mom's family still call me Mary Jane so I know when the phone rings and someone asks for Mary Jane...it is a relative. It was the 50's and if your name wasnt Debbie, Mary, Diana, Kathy, Donna, Barbara or some form of Susan, you weren't "anybody."

azdesertrat 01-02-2011 09:47 AM

My name is Kathleen Shawn
named after my great grandmother and her daughter(my Grandmother) which were both named Katherine and Marian Kathryn.respectively
Shawn is because I'm Irish and Scottish.I guess

kjdavis4 01-02-2011 10:14 AM

I didn't like my name at all when I was growing up. We moved a lot so I was frequently the "new" kid and even the teachers would mispronounce my name when school first started. My first name is Kana pronounced Kayna. My last name was german and very different so I knew at least one of the names would be mispronounced. I was very glad to marry a Davis. I love my name now as I never have to worry about being confused with someone else.