Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dilemma - suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dilemma-suggestions-t323891.html)

cashs_mom 04-11-2024 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8644892)
When I hear people say they can't sew, cook, etc. All I hear I don't want learn how. I immediately don't care.

Exactly what I think!

GregB 04-16-2024 10:25 AM

Dilemma

So sorry to hear of this. It's hard to be firm with people who you have to see often. I had someone I had to be tough with ( my mother in law). Once I said no to her demands, she backed down. She became quite pleasant after that. So stand your ground, and be happier with yourself.

cashs_mom 04-16-2024 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GregB (Post 8645433)
So sorry to hear of this. It's hard to be firm with people who you have to see often. I had someone I had to be tough with ( my mother in law). Once I said no to her demands, she backed down. She became quite pleasant after that. So stand your ground, and be happier with yourself.

I think bullies often back down when confronted. I've had the same experience.

ElaineCovid 04-16-2024 05:34 PM

Can't change the meal format, I've tried.
Can't change the location (or rotate between us) I've tried.
Have to see this person regularly, and she is so pleasant and seems easygoing ( Whenever you have time, I'm in no hurry) I think I will just stay away from the get togethers for awhile.... as there are a few other points of contention....

Iceblossom 04-17-2024 07:41 AM

I believe in stating things out loud and directly, while doing it as nicely as possible. It is scary to speak up and set boundaries but it will work better in the long run --

I really like you and enjoy our time together. As friends I hope you understand what I am about to say -- quilting is my business and I am finding myself starting to resent the time I have spent quilting multiple quilts for you for free. I only meant to do one, and can't do them any more without harming our relationship. I don't want this little thing to get between us. In addition, there are some ways you can improve your tops for whoever quilts them, you, me, or someone else. If you'd like when we are visiting I would be happy to point out some of those things.

cashs_mom 04-17-2024 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid (Post 8645471)
Can't change the meal format, I've tried.
Can't change the location (or rotate between us) I've tried.
Have to see this person regularly, and she is so pleasant and seems easygoing ( Whenever you have time, I'm in no hurry) I think I will just stay away from the get togethers for awhile.... as there are a few other points of contention....

Why can't you change the meal format or the location? Aren't you and what's convenient for you just as important as this A person?

quiltingcandy 04-17-2024 04:13 PM

You said she is very nice - it sounds like she is truly passive/aggressive and used to getting her own way. I can tell you she is not giving this a second thought right now - it is bothering you. So as soon as you can, tell her you can no longer quilt her quilts for free. (Do you even want to quilt them for a fee? Can you trust her to pay you if she said she will?).

She will ask you when she has a quilt ready - so it is better that you tell her now so she can plan on either doing it herself or finding someone else.

Peckish 04-17-2024 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 8644858)
"I did that first one as a favor to you, but I can't keep quilting all your quilts for free. Do you understand?"

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8644875)
I added "that's not going to work for me. " Don't give a reason because the manipulator/user/ control freak will fix your reason. The more you say it , the easier it gets. That's not going to work for me. Why not? It's not going to work for me. Over and over till they give up.

LOVE both of these answers!! Spot on!!

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8644892)
When I hear people say they can't sew, cook, etc. All I hear I don't want learn how. I immediately don't care.

Amen and amen!!!

SusieQOH 04-19-2024 05:18 AM

I can't wrap my head around someone who makes quilts, knowing the process, would think someone else can just quilt it for them for free. WOW!
My 2 cents- "I can't quilt for free anymore. PERIOD. No explanation needed.