Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-quilters-also-preserve-fruit-veggies-t66713.html)

SaraSewing 09-25-2010 11:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It seems like a hand-in-hand hobby; taking odd bits, doing a little magic, and creating a lasting feel-good project. I have been busy with canning, but I think I'm about done. I did lots of unusual combos of jams (like mango-blueberry), and then started in on the garden stuff. I had a great crop of huge pimentos that I pickled into a garden mix. The dill's are made from a recipe my grandmother used in the 40's. And peaches! After we eat all we can, I preserve some for cottage cheese snacks. I still have some empty bottles, but the garden is finished, and my sewing time has suffered!

Peaches. One with marich. cherry juice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90752[/ATTACH]

Tomato soup; spagetti sauce
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90753[/ATTACH]

crock pickles, garden mix with pimentos, dill pickles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90754[/ATTACH]

amma 09-25-2010 11:42 AM

Ooooo those all look so good!!! Living alone, I just don't do the canning like I used to. I do get gifted though, and greatly appreciate them :D:D:D

Quilting Di 09-25-2010 11:42 AM

The whole preserving thing is NOT for me. My mom was into freezing and canning big time with a little sewing thrown in. I'm the total opposite....once in a while I will freeze corn or tomatoes (only for use in chili), but that is it. I'd rather be sewing all the time.

You canning does look yummy. Enjoy it this winter :thumbup:

Justquilting 09-25-2010 11:46 AM

I only do tomatoes...I hate them in a can!!

aneternalpoet 09-25-2010 11:58 AM

Hi, I also do alot of canning each year, due to having a large garden on our large property, here in the mountains. I love to can, almost ALMOST as much as I love to quilt...Thanks for sharing your bounty!

belmer 09-25-2010 12:07 PM

Wow, That is so wonderful to be able to can most of your garden veggies.... My Mom use to do this and me and my two sisters helped, We sure stayed healthy because alot that we ate came from our huge gardens. it must make you feel very satisfied to be able to do this. I miss canning sometimes, but I do have to admit, It is alot of work.

Patched 09-25-2010 12:13 PM

All of your canning looks absolutely delicious. Wish I liked to can, it always tastes better than what you buy at the store. Also I'm the only one around here who likes fruits and vegetables. My bunch is meat and potatoes.

pocoellie 09-25-2010 12:17 PM

They all look delicious, but canning is wayyyyyyy to much like cooking for me. LOL

pab58 09-25-2010 12:21 PM

YUMMY!!!!! :lol: I love to can, but I haven't done it in several years. My mother used to get together sometimes and can lots and lots of goodies. :wink:

luvTooQuilt 09-25-2010 12:26 PM

We have an orchard on our property as well as a garden so I do can, I don't really enjoy it but I do love my own spaghetti sauce and jellies over the store bought anytime..

We have Two different types of apples, pears, four different varieties of grapes, peaches, cherries (tart), blackberries galore, raspberries, those green berries that make the tart pies (yuck)-Gooseberries !! but I only can every other year, the other years I let friends and neighbors pick the orchard clean.. Too much work..