Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-drink-diet-sodas-use-sugar-free-products-t229599.html)

ube quilting 09-06-2013 01:25 PM

If it is a chemical created by a company to make money, I don't trust it. We live in an artificial world. I like my food to be real.
peace

Neesie 09-06-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 6277685)
According to Snopes, it is not true.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Many people consider Snopes to be the ultimate authority on just about everything, but not everything you read on Snopes is true. Please don't bet your life, on Snopes.

QuiltE 09-06-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6277836)
Many people consider Snopes to be the ultimate authority on just about everything, but not everything you read on Snopes is true. Please don't bet your life, on Snopes.

.............. The report was written by someone from your FDA

Neesie 09-06-2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6277850)
.............. The report was written by someone from your FDA

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't bet my life on our FDA, either. Nowadays, too many people have their hands in too many pockets.

tessagin 09-06-2013 02:24 PM

I do absolutely nothing with aspartame in it. I keep after my husband because he likes a certain breath mint that has aspartame in it. That nasty after taste you get when the first time you drink a diet soda is the aspartame. I got horrible headaches when I ate those breath mints. I couldn't stand the diet sodas. The aspartame can also cause ulcers. DH quit the breath mints and no longer has stomach irritations. They also need to get rid of those sweeteners that are place on tables in restaurants. If you want your tea sweetened ask for some honey or berries with a tiny bit of sugar. I've read the article and that is how my aunt was diagnosed a few years ago. Took the aspartame away and she's a totally different person at turning 90 years old this past June. She can't believe how good she feels.

tessagin 09-06-2013 02:27 PM

I don't trust anything but my gut. And I never heard of Snopes til this year. I just know how that stuff makes me feel and if it ain't real I'm not eatin' it. Give me the real stuff. The flavor lasts a lot longer.

Kimkankwilt 09-06-2013 02:31 PM

Instead of sugar, I use Stevia. No calories and it's natural.

mom-6 09-06-2013 04:04 PM

Whether or not the "experts" agree on either side of this argument, I know that I don't like the taste of artificial sweetener of any variety and have several family members that say certain ones give them adverse effects, headache or diarrhea mainly. So it seems best to avoid them.

Dolphyngyrl 09-06-2013 04:22 PM

I have heard that they are actually bad for diabetics yet so many use it. I hear its worse than regular sugar for you. Anything artificial is usually found to be bad from you. They are also finding so many bad things about food dyes and other artificial additive.

cathyvv 09-06-2013 04:37 PM

From SNOPES: FALSE

When I read something of this nature and there is no authors name attached to it, I immediately check SNOPES. A lack of an author, is, to me, what makes this kind of thing an 'urban legend'. Without an author there is no way to check the authenticity of the claims being made.

I checked for two reasons:

a) I drink a lot of diet soda

b) My sister and my granddaughter are both allergic to aspartame. They break out in ugly hives when they drink it. In my sisters case, the hives were on her face; my dgd had them all over her legs. Both stopped drinking diet soda and the hives disappeared.

Last comment on diet soda is this: It rots your teeth.