Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you fear this as much as me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-fear-much-me-t281685.html)

tessagin 08-27-2016 06:15 PM

I have a pair of fileting gloves in the kitchen. It helps . Also potholders. I use a wooden spoon or butter knife for leverage. Pry the ring with the butter knife. Slide the handle of the wooden spoon or even a screwdriver through the ring. All this while you have the potholders /oven mitts on. Pull back with the spoon or driver. You have so much more leverage.

Jim 08-27-2016 10:19 PM

plastic bags and coverings on cardboard, bags of chips, crackers as well as most any slick plastic container or the safety plastic caps over juice drinks etc drive my wife and I both wild...we both have has several (7) hand surgeries, so some days it almost impossible to open things...we keep a pair of utility kitchen shears , a rubber grip and a pair of needle nose pliers to aid in opening almost anything in a drawer in the kitchen

gale 08-27-2016 10:37 PM

I honestly can't remember the last time I opened a can like that other than cat food. Which my kids open now since they feed the cats.

madamekelly 08-27-2016 11:20 PM

I put the pull tab cans in my silverware drawer with a small rowel for spills, to use it kind of like a vice, then use a spoon handle to pull the tab off. I spill very little this way.

Reba'squilts 08-28-2016 04:16 AM

Everything is hard to open! I use pliers, I bought a small pair of scissors that fold up to keep in my purse for the items that say "tear here". Yeah, right!!! My hands are not as strong as they were when I was younger.

Stitchit123 08-28-2016 07:42 AM

I use my electric can opener. Those pull tops look dangerous.I hate all these child proof caps. I was picking up a prescription for a friend at Walmart and I picked up a couple bottles of their tylenols and made the comment that they should have the option for otc's like they do with scripts. The girl opened the bottles-took off the foil and put a regular cap on the bottles. I use a family owned home town pharmacy for my med's and they will open them for me and they actually put them in a clear script bottle and printed out a label for my otc's. She said they do this all the time because so many of their customers ask for child proof caps.

Onebyone 08-28-2016 07:56 AM

I found a quality ice pick does the trick to open all items. I poke, punch and pry with it. I keep needle nose pliers, scissors, ice pick, flashlight, screwdriver and small hammer in my kitchen utensil drawer. I don't even try to rip a package I use the scissors. Saves so much frustration to use the tools first.

Mousie 08-28-2016 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 7638588)
plastic bags and coverings on cardboard, bags of chips, crackers as well as most any slick plastic container or the safety plastic caps over juice drinks etc drive my wife and I both wild...we both have has several (7) hand surgeries, so some days it almost impossible to open things...we keep a pair of utility kitchen shears , a rubber grip and a pair of needle nose pliers to aid in opening almost anything in a drawer in the kitchen

no hand surgeries, but i have fibromyalgia that makes your muscles
weaker than the average bear.
I too have a special pair of kitchen shears and wooden handles spoons,
pliers and grippers, anything that can make "kitchen life" easier, I have
it nearby all the time. I've been doing this for years so didn't really think
about my age, lol. :)

patski 08-28-2016 01:26 PM

you can still use a can opener! I just pop in on the electric opener and don't have to struggle

Jan in VA 08-28-2016 05:00 PM

I find it sometimes helps me when I put the can down into the sink and open it there. Lowering the angle seems to give me a bit more strength and it prevents spills on the counter.

Jan in VA