Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you fear this as much as me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-fear-much-me-t281685.html)

Suz 08-27-2016 06:54 AM

Do you fear this as much as me?

I fear opening cans with the pull-off lids. I am not as strong as I once was and pulling the ring on the tab is a problem for me. I am afraid of having something slip and end up wounded. [I have inserted a spoon handle in the ring for leverage and them covered my hand with a cloth but am not strong enough to complete the opening. (You know we need both hands to do our quilting.) Often I just resort to using my can opener.

Anyone else with this fear?

cashs_mom 08-27-2016 06:59 AM

I used pliers when I need some help with those cans.

Doggramma 08-27-2016 08:14 AM

Yes, I hate it for the same reason. And they always fill things right to the top and it slops out too.

NoraB 08-27-2016 08:33 AM

I agree about the tabs. I don't have long fingernails at all and I'm afraid I'll break a nail on those guys!

Everything seems to be harder to open nowadays! I use a Hazelnut Creamer and after you take off the red lid, it has a little aluminum foil circle that has to be removed before you can use it. Yesterday, I could not peel that puppy off for anything! I was getting ready to use my teeth to pull it off!

Same with the pain-reliever bottles where you have to squeeze and rotate with strength and flexibility..........I think it's aggravating, especially when you have a headache!

I don't have an electric can opener. I've seen the ones that don't leave the can with sharp edges......what do you all use? It needs to be easy to rotate that little turner (I don't need another aggravating kitchen tool)!

mandyrose 08-27-2016 08:48 AM

oooh! same here all of the above and those snack bags ugh!

NJ Quilter 08-27-2016 08:50 AM

I don't currently have an issue with them, but I'd just use a can opener as well. Nothing says you can't. And I wouldn't be without my electric can opener! That said, I do have a manual in the drawer for those times when the power goes out and you need to open something!

marilynr 08-27-2016 08:56 AM

I have a gadget that was made to open these tabs which really helps. My daughter gave it to me.
I have most trouble opening the lids on milk cartons that have a little ring shaped thing that you have to pull off.
My arthritic fingers definitely do not like those.

Kitsie 08-27-2016 09:07 AM

Yes!! Me, too! I have a wooden spoon jar right on my counter that includes pliers and a screwdriver (to pry with). I, too, use my can opener a lot!

gramajo 08-27-2016 09:11 AM

I agree with all of the problems above. I get so frustrated trying to open pretty much anything nowadays. Especially when the pharmacist puts child-proof caps on my meds. :(

Stitchnripper 08-27-2016 09:23 AM

Yes me too. I keep thinking my hands aren't as strong as they used to be but maybe they are making the packaging harder to open.