Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you forget how to spell a word? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-forget-how-spell-word-t192291.html)

Kitsie 06-20-2012 11:23 AM

Yes!! Got stuck on the word, "gang" once and the more I said it aloud, the funnier it got!
But I can always spot a misspelled word some one else wrote!

ptquilts 06-20-2012 11:32 AM

If I touch type (looking at the screen instead of the keys) I do OK. If I do not look at the screen when typing, everything gets mixed up, like dyslexia. Always have trouble with becuase instead of because, as well as many others. Letters just come out in the wrong order.

Sew N Tune 06-20-2012 12:12 PM

I'm closing in on 59, and I find this happening to me a lot here lately. Guess that's part of getting "older". Not old, just older.

buslady 06-20-2012 01:00 PM

At least its just the spelling you can't remember. I frequently forget what the word is I want. LOL!!! Try getting someone to help you remember a word. Oh, my goodness, funny, but frustrating!!!!!

nativetexan 06-20-2012 01:08 PM

oh yes. i do too. frustrating. and yes, i've re-worded to be able to use a word I can spell. and spell check doesn't always help.
the other day i did learn how to use the Dictionary in my Kindle. i was reading a book and wanted to know the definition of Anomalous. First time i'd use the Dictionary but got it to work fine.

zennia 06-20-2012 01:10 PM

Yes-------

Krisb 06-20-2012 02:50 PM

My bigger problem is the auto complete functions--which often want to use a word other than the one I want--and they can be quite insistent.

miss_ticky2 06-20-2012 03:02 PM

Yes...I used to be good at spelling but now, from time to time I forget how to spell a word. Actually, if I don't think about it I'm fine, but as soon as I start to wonder if it's spelt correctly or not, then I've lost it...lol.

(by the way...how many of you, when replying to this post, have gone back and double checked that your spelling is correct?? I did..more than once...lol. Gosh..hope I got it all right...lol)

burchquilts 06-20-2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae (Post 5303468)
When I worked full time I had excellent spelling. Now that I am at home all of the time, spelling has become more difficult. I kind of think it is a case of "When you don't use it, you lose it."

I agree... that plus "spellcheck" has really got me all twisted. I either can't spell the word or can't think of the exact one I want. I can think of all the ones "around" it but not it (does that make sense?). I asked my MD about it because my dad had Ahlzheimer's & getting it worries me. She said "Forgetting where your keys are (for example) is normal. Forgetting what your keys are for is when you need to worry". So far, fingers crossed...

burchquilts 06-20-2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2 (Post 5304031)
Yes...I used to be good at spelling but now, from time to time I forget how to spell a word. Actually, if I don't think about it I'm fine, but as soon as I start to wonder if it's spelt correctly or not, then I've lost it...lol.

(by the way...how many of you, when replying to this post, have gone back and double checked that your spelling is correct?? I did..more than once...lol. Gosh..hope I got it all right...lol)

I have & even then, sometimes I don't catch it & when I see it posted, I think "Argh"!!!