Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you forget how to spell a word? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-forget-how-spell-word-t192291.html)

Nanamoms 06-20-2012 10:23 PM

Yes, me, too. I have re-worded a sentence so that I don't have to use the specific word. Also, if I look at the word too long, it will look misspelled even though it is spelled correctly. I hate the auto-complete. It never gives me the word "I" want to use!! I do have an "excuse" though because some of my meds make me forget!! LOL

slk350 06-20-2012 11:06 PM

It happens to me all the time, the funny thing is I know how to spell most of the words...my mind just goes blank. That's why I keep a Webster Dictionary right next to me at all times. But, on the other hand I am a good "proof reader"...I catch misspelled words right off. LOL

ione 06-21-2012 12:07 AM

I use to be able to spot a misspelled word a mile away, but the last few years I am not as eagle eyed as I use to be. I find myself googling a lot of words and the frustrating thing is that I have usually spelled them right, but they look wrong to me. It is interesting that we seem to have all the same exact problems!

Arleners 06-21-2012 04:35 AM

Oh! I thought it was just me! I have this happen to me just often enough to get me worried. The worst for me is when I am typing away - in the zone - and then look back and I have used the wrong form of spelling (ie there instead of their) I know the rule, but my brain didn't for that moment. I need a proof reader.

katsewnsew 06-21-2012 04:41 AM

Yes, it happens more often now. Or I spell out a work correct and question it, thinking that it just doesn't look right. and I am talking small words, 4 or 5 letter words.

joyce j 06-21-2012 06:09 AM

always have that trouble. joyce j

Rose Marie 06-21-2012 06:26 AM

YES, the older I get the worse I get.
Im an avid reader so that is not helping.

bearisgray 06-21-2012 07:46 AM

My Mom had a severe stroke - that pretty much destroyed her speaking ability - but she still seemed to be able to understand/comprehend what was said to her - it was so sad to see her struggling for a word - and not be able to find it.

That may be why I'm on the 'far right' for concern

My 'thing' has been names - I can go all around the name - birth date, car model, number of kids, eye color - etc. -

It's been going on for many years - so I'm not overly concerned - most of the time - yet.

I'm still more comfortable with 'conventional spelling' - even though I know that many of the spellings in American English are totally illogical and not phonetic.

bearisgray 06-21-2012 07:50 AM

I'll use a different word when speaking if I'm not sure of how to pronounce it.

Yooper32 06-21-2012 11:29 AM

It happens to the best of Us. I too was a great speller, proof reader and improper English still throws me into shock, but there is this strange happening when a word you are about to type just flies off into the ether, poof, gone! Very aggravating, for sure.