Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a house fairy???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-house-fairy-t258912.html)

svenskaflicka1 12-30-2014 08:46 AM

the old swedes have always had "tomte" in the house. mom would put out a little bowl of milk for them, and some little squares of bread, during the holidays. it was all done in fun, but her grandmother said that it was only for the best to put it out. then the "tomte" were happy, and the house ran smoothly. even if wed idn't see an appreciable difference in the amount left, it was the thought that counted. the tomte would take care of us and the house. it's not too late, this year-12 days of christmas--and never too soon to feed the tomte!

nena 12-30-2014 08:46 AM

Named mine Sam. My daughter even named her first child ( girl) Samantha. He used to do crazy things until I had a talk with him. Ha Really who knows, but I know when he is here or if he goes to my daughters house for awhile. She will call and say ... You missing Sam because he is at my house. lol

nativetexan 12-30-2014 08:55 AM

Oh yes, I still can't find the earrings I meant to send to my middle granddtr for Christmas. Had to buy her another pair! They are still missing. However I did find my husband's 35mm camera in the front hall closet yesterday.

madamekelly 12-30-2014 09:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Yes, I do have house fairies. Grandma always told us that if we welcome the fairies, we would not be a good place for pixies to cause trouble. So I have a fairy door, fairy curtain hangers, fairy clock and a silly little fairy that was my one attempt to make a soft sculpture fairy. Grandma always had a little piece of wood, with a little knob attached, mounted on the wall, in a lower corner, so the fairies could come and go as the wish. Imagine my surprise when I found my little door online...!

Dodee 12-30-2014 09:30 AM

I just KNEW that the pharmacist did not give me my refill on a prescription. She asked me to look for it just one more time and, guess what???, I found it and had to go back and apologize. She made me feel better. Said "it happens a lot with people, so don't feel bad. You're probably the first one who'se apologized tho' " Dodee

Stitchit123 12-30-2014 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by shawnan (Post 7026445)
Halleluiah I'm not the only one!! Although I understand that mine are the "cupboard elves" variety. You know the ones who mess up the cupboards while you sleep. First cousins I believe to the house fairy/gremlin.

My son says I watch too many of the Disney Fairie movies -I know Tinker Bell borrows my tools while I'm using them, they come up missing as soon as I set them down

svenskaflicka1 12-30-2014 11:15 AM

and yes, i have a fairy door, as well. it leads nowhere, but the fairies always seem to be able to get something inbetween the door and the wall for the granddaughter, when she comes over--or clues to a "hunt" that leads to a message or "treasure" from the fairies.

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 7026891)
Yes, I do have house fairies. Grandma always told us that if we welcome the fairies, we would not be a good place for pixies to cause trouble. So I have a fairy door, fairy curtain hangers, fairy clock and a silly little fairy that was my one attempt to make a soft sculpture fairy. Grandma always had a little piece of wood, with a little knob attached, mounted on the wall, in a lower corner, so the fairies could come and go as the wish. Imagine my surprise when I found my little door online...!

svenskaflicka1 12-30-2014 11:18 AM

his buddies, the dust rhinos, hang out at my house.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 7026495)
i have a house gorilla.
talk about a mess maker! :shock:

Roberta 12-30-2014 12:04 PM

Busy Fingers, I'm a senior but I think I have a house fairy as well. I will look for something 100 times, on time 101 I will find it where I had looked the other 100 times.

Boston1954 12-30-2014 12:08 PM

Mine is named Jim and he often takes milk or other things that need refrigeration and puts them ON TOP of the fridge. Then he says he did not do it. He is 5'11" and I am 5'3". Who's kidding whom???