Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have trouble with light when you drive? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-trouble-light-when-you-drive-t65154.html)

nativetexan 09-17-2010 05:02 AM

cataracts!! they take a long time to get really bad and require surgery. night driving is the worst. mine aren't bad enough yet but i noticed the other day if i covered my left eye, the t.v. was blurry with only my right. so one day, I will have to have my eyes fixed!
although my eyes have always been sensitive to light! i'm supposed to wear sunglasses but tend to forget and in Colorado being a mile high, i should remember!

leatheflea 09-17-2010 05:11 AM

I've never been able to see well under these conditions. Its a gift from my mother, she too cannot see under these conditions. The doc calls it night blindness and says theres no fix. I hate to drive at night because the Halos from the oncoming cars are blinding.

grammyp 09-17-2010 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
When the sun is at a certain level in the sky, I am just blinded by it! I can't even see the street signs in front of me at a certain time of day. Even going in the opposite direction is hard, because it gets in all my rear-view mirrors.

Those sun visors in the car help, but they don't cover the spot where the inside rear-view mirror is.

And at night, the glare from headlights and even traffic lights is really getting to me.

What about you, and do you have any advice?

I certainly do, and no cataracts. I have always had trouble driving at night and only do it if I really have to. Just something I have learned to deal with.

misseva 09-17-2010 09:43 AM

i've had that problem since i was young - cataract surgery in both eyes - still have the problem - i don't drive at night except to/from church and when i get that glare from my mirrors, i either twist 'em away from the car - i have a remote button - or hold a magazine or newspaper up. i know that's not a good thing to do - but it's better than being blinded.

BRenea 09-17-2010 06:38 PM

I really don't have too much trouble during the day...but at night it's a different story. I am very night blind and my eyes play tricks on me when it is dark, so I only drive at night when I absolutely have to.

littlehud 09-17-2010 07:11 PM

I hate driving at night. I avoid it if I can. Those headlights just blind me.

bjnicholson 09-17-2010 07:14 PM

I used to before I got my cataracts removed. Now, it's still bright, but at least I can see.

wvdek 09-17-2010 09:53 PM

I wear glasses with a glare-free coating on them for night driving. It helps with sun too. I guess you could get glasses that are non Rx with the glare-free coating. Talk to your eye Dr. about it.
My eyes are allergic to the sun so I wear the over the glasses sunglasses from Walmart. They have several kinds of lenses so I get my choice.

My DH had cataracts that came on very quickly. One week after he was diagnosed, he went blind in the one eye while at church. Next day Dr. could not believe how fast cataract had grown. He had surgery and was one of the lucky ones to be able to get laser surgery and his sight was corrected to 20/20 except for reading.

Lisanne 09-17-2010 10:25 PM

Several of you suggested glare-free glasses. Does this help if you don't otherwise wear glasses? If you wear contacts, as I do?

Cataract surgery is not going to be an option for me, and yes, I know the alternative. I can't let anyone even touch my eyes, not even at routine eye exams. It won't happen. Besides, I don't want anything artificial in my eyes. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

My problem is not night blindness. As long as I'm not behind the wheel, I can see at night. Yes, I see the halos on lights, but night blindness is not being able to see much at all in dim light. That isn't my problem at all.

I really didn't think having so much trouble at early sunset was from the cataracts, though that does add to the problem. I can remember being extremely sensitive to sunlight even as a little tiny kid. It would be like 15 minutes before I could even open my eyes on going outside.

I figured everyone trouble at that time of day. You hear it on traffic reports, that traffic is moving slowly because of sun glare. I doubt all those people out there have cataracts.

craftybear 09-17-2010 10:27 PM

that happened to my husband and he had to have a cataract removed from both eyes 8 weeks apart and now he has perfect eye sight,

and when he got his surgery they gave him wrap around sunglasses and he loves them (he got 2 pairs since he had 2 surgeries)

get yourself to an eye Doctor! hugs