Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you know what these are? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-know-what-these-t186912.html)

Rose_P 04-24-2012 06:27 AM

My parents also had 3 kids in tow for their "date night" at the drive-in. In those days (1950's) they always started the program with a cartoon, which was usually the highlight of the evening for us kids, along with the snack bar and the playground down in front of the screen. In addition to the cartoon there was always an ad to make you want to go to the snack bar (giant hamburgers, hotdogs and popcorn bags floating around on the screen) and the movie would be interrupted mid-way with another commercial of that sort. I think they made more money selling snacks than selling tickets. For many years one of our high school math teachers was the ticket seller at the front gate, his summer job - good ole Mr. Quinn. I think maybe he owned the drive-in. We didn't have any special provisions for sleeping in the back seat. Sometimes one of us would crawl up on the package rack to snooze or get a better view of the movie. Cars were big in those days. When we got home our dad would have to carry us up the stairs to bed, which usually woke me up about midway. Thanks for the memories!

Booger Red 04-24-2012 07:26 AM

They are speakers from a drive in movie.

heberstitcher 04-24-2012 07:29 AM

OHHHHHH!!!!! What memories those bring back. The good old days, for sure

Kimkankwilt 04-24-2012 11:09 AM

Yeah...that was just prior to the alligator clip on the antenna routine...Good times!!!

jlwheart 04-24-2012 01:19 PM

Yup, outdoor movie theater car speakers! Now, the kids watch from their phones - go figure! I think it was more fun in the car in pjs eating a bucket of popcorn.

grandme26 04-24-2012 01:31 PM

They are outdoor movie speakers to put in your car and roll up the windows so the bugs can't get in but half or more of the time they did not work.

Latrinka 04-24-2012 04:34 PM

Wow! So cool!

Lois-nounoe 04-24-2012 06:40 PM

When my kids were very young we had a small Motor Home. Had to go to the back row but we had a fridge, stove, and oven and popped our own popcorn, made our own pizza, and had our own sodas and ice cream! Besides the kids had the overhead bed and could go to sleep when they got tired! Best of all worlds!

Suzbo 04-25-2012 06:05 AM

Stil love going to the drive-in - have to go to Illinois to the Mchenry Outdoor Theatre (only about an hour away). Used to go th the DunDale Drive-in (Has been closed for several years now) or to the cascade theatre in West Chicago - is it still open? Lots of good times had (and still having) there.

Monroe 04-25-2012 12:20 PM

Not many Drive-Ins left. As a kid we'd wear our PJ's in the station wagon, and lay on the roof. Saw Herbie the Love Bug, To Kill a Mockingbird, and many others. My local drive-in no longer has speakers- you just tune your radio to FM 88.1. The swings and playground were taken out many years ago- insurance issues. 2 movies for $8, serves pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. They now request no outside food be brought in but since I can't eat that greasy spicy stuff I buy bottled water to support them and bring a salad. It's fun to watch a movie under the stars- too bad there are very few movies worth going to!