Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you like purple hull peas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-like-purple-hull-peas-t130443.html)

lyndad 06-14-2011 10:54 AM

I love them especially with a pan of cornbread, fried potatoes and a big chunk of onion, yum

bluteddi 06-14-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by lyndad
I love them especially with a pan of cornbread, fried potatoes and a big chunk of onion, yum

Guess u can tell I'm a native TEXAN!! all this talk of purple hull pea's with bacon and onion, cornbreak and fried potatoes are making me hungry!!!

DH is a native northerner... but lived in TX for many years, and never heard of them....

I thought FAVA beans a different critter..... no???

charity-crafter 06-14-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
I have heard those called Fava beans..they are good but make sure you shell them...the outsides are woody and don't taste good to eat..add in some bacon, a little onion and mushrooms and they are fantastic!! crafty_linda_b

I thought fava beans are the big brown flatish ones, or maybe those are the mature ones. Are they the same? I love discovering different foods. This does sound like a good recipe. I have a bag of fava beans someplace.

SueSew 06-14-2011 12:28 PM

Are these purple hull PEAS? or BEANS? There are cranberry beans which have speckled hulls. And purpleish yard-long beans.
When you make the jelly do you make it with the hulls also, same way you would make grape jelly including a lot of twigs and unripe grapes?

sueisallaboutquilts 06-14-2011 01:19 PM

They sound wonderful!! I'll be right over :D:D

annyroony2 06-14-2011 03:38 PM

I love purple hull peas. We have some planted in the garden, but will be few more weeks before they are ready.

dixiebelle162002 06-14-2011 03:41 PM

Sounds like a wonderful meal; wish I lived closed!!! :lol: :lol:

Jeanniejo 06-14-2011 03:45 PM

I do NOT like purple hulled peas Sam I AM !

granma1 06-14-2011 04:34 PM

Oh ,Lord I do. We would have fried green tomatos ,Black-eyed peas(Purple hulls),Corn bread and my Dad's
River bank potatos and a slice of Ham or a fried pork chop. OMG I am so hungry now. Good eats

Gramof6 06-14-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by countrycottage
Just bought some locally grown purple hull peas from a vendor. They are sooooo good. Am cooking a big pan full for supper tonight and have invited the family. I'm making the Squash Casserole recipe that appeared on this board recently too, and am serving a big plate of ripe tomatoes. I told someone about my purchase and they replied that they thought purple hull peas were cow feed. Obviously they didn't grow up around here.

''

Love them! Your supper sounded so good! Had I of seen it earlier I would have brought the fried tators, green onions & cornbread. Yummmmmmm My kind of comfort food.