Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you like using gift bags for presents? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-like-using-gift-bags-presents-t273190.html)

Onebyone 12-10-2015 04:08 PM

Do you like using gift bags for presents?

I'm not opposed to gift bags but at guild at our gift exchange every gift was in a gift bag except mine. I had mine in a very pretty gift box, the kind that is wrapped but you open without tearing the paper. All the others looked the same, pretty bag with tissue sticking out the top. Most all the same size too. My box was chosen first. I watched the others choose but really they didn't ponder, just walked up and grabbed the nearest bag. I remember when all the gifts were wrapped in boxes and everyone spent some time choosing which box they wanted. Never under estimate the gift box. It really enhances even the most humble gift.

suern3 12-10-2015 04:16 PM

True, a pretty box is so nice, unfortunately, I never have been able to create the pretty box! My mom was a great wrapper, one of my daughters is a great wrapper. Not me, I love the pretty bag with tissue paper sticking out. My daughter even showed me how to properly insert the tissue paper:) I can do this.

lynnie 12-10-2015 04:31 PM

I use it when the box is cumbersome or too tiny, like a gift card

cjsews 12-10-2015 04:52 PM

I was told not use bags for the grandkids gifts. They like to tear open the paper to see what's in the box

cashs_mom 12-10-2015 06:30 PM

I don't really have a preference. And I don't often do what others say I should so I like (and use) both. Sometimes I wrap, sometimes I just bag. I love the look of a wrapped gift, but I also love the convenience of the gift bags.

Jill 12-10-2015 06:55 PM

I like gift bags, I use them for all gifts, and will always use them.

AnnieF 12-10-2015 09:01 PM

Gift bags were made for me......I was never good at wrapping. Sorry, gift wrapping is a talent and not all of us have that talent.

quiltingcandy 12-10-2015 09:14 PM

I prefer to wrap a package. But love the ease of the bag! It also depends on how many there are to wrap and how big something it.

mrs. fitz 12-10-2015 09:37 PM

I have a lot of gifts that must be mailed and gift bags are much better in a situation like that. You can "cheat" a little and squish them to fit. Boxes must be fitted properly in the mailing carton which can result in needing a larger carton and that in turn could result in a higher mailing cost. I do wrap some gifts but overall it's the bags for me.

Anniedeb 12-10-2015 11:02 PM

I switch between the two. I love to wrap presents, but I also love to embellish gift bags. Multi colored tissue, sparkly add-ons, and pretty ribbon all add up to lovely packages. My grandkids prefer gift bags....makes it easier to unwrap....and peek inside!!