Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you like using gift bags for presents?

Do you like using gift bags for presents?

I'm not opposed to gift bags but at guild at our gift exchange every gift was in a gift bag except mine. I had mine in a very pretty gift box, the kind that is wrapped but you open without tearing the paper. All the others looked the same, pretty bag with tissue sticking out the top. Most all the same size too. My box was chosen first. I watched the others choose but really they didn't ponder, just walked up and grabbed the nearest bag. I remember when all the gifts were wrapped in boxes and everyone spent some time choosing which box they wanted. Never under estimate the gift box. It really enhances even the most humble gift.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

True, a pretty box is so nice, unfortunately, I never have been able to create the pretty box! My mom was a great wrapper, one of my daughters is a great wrapper. Not me, I love the pretty bag with tissue paper sticking out. My daughter even showed me how to properly insert the tissue paper I can do this.

Blog Entries
    I use it when the box is cumbersome or too tiny, like a gift card
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I was told not use bags for the grandkids gifts. They like to tear open the paper to see what's in the box

I don't really have a preference. And I don't often do what others say I should so I like (and use) both. Sometimes I wrap, sometimes I just bag. I love the look of a wrapped gift, but I also love the convenience of the gift bags.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I like gift bags, I use them for all gifts, and will always use them.

Gift bags were made for me......I was never good at wrapping. Sorry, gift wrapping is a talent and not all of us have that talent.
    Life is Good!!!

I prefer to wrap a package. But love the ease of the bag! It also depends on how many there are to wrap and how big something it.

I have a lot of gifts that must be mailed and gift bags are much better in a situation like that. You can "cheat" a little and squish them to fit. Boxes must be fitted properly in the mailing carton which can result in needing a larger carton and that in turn could result in a higher mailing cost. I do wrap some gifts but overall it's the bags for me.

I switch between the two. I love to wrap presents, but I also love to embellish gift bags. Multi colored tissue, sparkly add-ons, and pretty ribbon all add up to lovely packages. My grandkids prefer gift bags....makes it easier to unwrap....and peek inside!!

Blog Entries
    I usually wrap the parcel unless it is an awkward shape which means difficulty in wrapping so I gift bag. I do boxes and use them more for birthday gifts when the box is covered to be an extra to the gift.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I must admit I hate to wrap. Use a lot of gift bags.

I'm 'tissue paper challenged' so prefer to wrap but some times the bags are just easier and quicker. Also depends if it's an awkwardly shaped package. Those definitely go in the bags.

We do our family gift exchange at my daughter's home. It is easier for me to carry a bunch of gifts in gift bags rather than boxes. So, yes, I do use gift bags. I frill them up with lots of tissue and I buy tulle in the bridal dept of Michael's and I tie a large bow to each bag - for Christmas I use sparkly tulle.

Same thing happened to me. We had our guild party this week. I wrapped my gift and there were only two wrapped and the rest were bags with tissue paper. My gift was the first one chosen. Just sayin.....

Blog Entries
    Same here. I buy the prettiest bags, bows and tissue paper that I can find.

I don't like gift bags because you have to stuff them with tissue so know one can see the contents.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    I don't like gift bags because you have to stuff them with tissue so know one can see the contents.
    ??? I thought that was the point. You see the gift when the tissue is removed just like you see the gift when the wrapping paper us removed. Also, tissue is sometimes used inside a gift wrapped box.

The only "wrapping"" I find offensive is when the gift is presented unwrapped in the plastic store bag.

Gift bags are a little easier and the stores are NOT handing out boxes like they did in the "old days".
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

In a setting like the quilt guild table I think wrapping one present wouldn't be a hardship. I buy the Christmas boxes at Tuesday Mornings. They are gorgeous! No wrapping needed but I do because I feel like the person is getting two presents with a pretty box to keep. Many have bling on them, inlaid pictures, glossy finishes with trims. So nice. And all sizes. The kids or multiple gifts, they will get gift bags or gift wrapped plain boxes. I think my guild family appreciates a special touch.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

For Christmas, I use fabric bags for family gifts, unless the gift is for a small child then they get wrapping paper. The fabric bags have been used in our family for many years. I bought Christmas fabric when it was on sale and made oodles of bags.

For Birthdays, I usually reuse a gift bag. My stash of gift bags grows at the same pace as my fabric stash. I swear I never purchase gift bags!

For a special gift, then it is wrapped with ribbon and bows.

I have always hated the waste of wrapping paper, tissue paper, and paper gift bags.

Blog Entries
    since I mail most gifts to family, i do tend to use gift bags for friends here. just tissue no wrapping paper needed. and the Dollar store has gift bags!

I wrap all my gifts and make the bows. I also use tissue paper inside the boxes. I think wrapping a gift gives the gift a little extra special touch for the person the gift is intended. The gift may not be the best that they received but it will be the prettiest package that they receive. Last year in January our Dollar Store had boxes 5 to a pack and all different sizes for 10 cents a package. Needless to say I have enough boxes to last the rest of my lifetime.
    "Time spent in the saddle is never wasted." Teddy Roosevelt

pal
    Another tradition almost gone....
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast