Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-think-can-physically-impossible-give-up-certain-foods-t129850.html)

valsma 06-12-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Opal Jane
The question is are we emotionally or physically addicted to certain foods? I think we are emotionally addicted.

I agree. I think we have convinced ourselfs that we "need" these foods and our bodys react accordingly. I'm fighting the same battle right now. I had done great for a couple months, eating fruits, veggies, whole grains. Stopped eating chips, most sugars laced foods and had actually lost weight. Then the stress of a few things happend and sent me back into a spiral I have been attempting to find my way back out of since. It is not so easy at this moment because my stress is telling my brain I "need" these food items. I'm trying though. It is a matter of telling our brain to make the right choice, when choosing between chips or a banana.

MelodyWB 06-12-2011 09:18 AM

I gave up a lot to loose 92 lbs and I miss certain things 2 years later..lol..what I learned was to control how much!!

bearisgray 06-12-2011 09:20 AM

I think we have been "programmed" to think that so many of the "less than wonderful for us" foods have been considered treats.

I don't think it is physically - or mentally - impossible to give up certain foods - if one really chooses to do so.

(This is assuming one is getting enough essential nutrients to maintain a healthy body)

lalaland 06-12-2011 09:31 AM

Yes, chocolate, and sunflower seeds in the shell. So I bought the mini chocolates and allow myself 2 a day, and only eat dry roasted, already shelled sunflower seeds. I have to admit, the hardest one is the seeds, I really love cracking those shells but I was going through 2 bags a day! The salt alone will kill ya!

BellaBoo 06-12-2011 10:16 AM

I found once I started exercising every day I don't have the cravings I use to have. Not even chocolate and I love chocolate.

Riversong 06-12-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I need my morning coffee, even decaf, to get me going - no sugar and just a little low fat milk will do it. Tried doing without it, drinking all kinds of teas instead or nothing at all but that hasn't worked. Bad thing about drinking tea it makes me run to the bathroom all morning long. It's a b---h getting old. May

What she said!!!

Stitchnripper 06-12-2011 03:41 PM

I'm "attached" to Diet Coke. I thought it was just the caffeine, so started drinking half caf coffee in the a.m. since the full strength is too much for me. Well, I don't get the same "boost" from it. And when I have the Diet Coke, I feel happy. so I'm trying to limit the quantity, not the times per day. half a glass vs. full. So far so good.

meemersmom 06-12-2011 04:06 PM

I don't think its impossible to give them up. But, it is unpleasant. I have learned that moderation is the key. If I want chocolate, I have one square of a Lindt truffle bar or one round Lindt truffle -- richer than many whole candy bars. But, only one. My mother always taught me that it wasn't the "what" as much as the "how much" that gets us into trouble. That can be applied to many things, not just food.

Jennifer22206 06-12-2011 04:50 PM

Honestly, I've lost 54 pounds since last March. I still eat anything I want, just in small moderation. 6 kisses and 10 or so chips ISN'T going to hurt you!! Trust me, I know. Just don't eat them every single day.

I still eat chocolate and ice cream, I've never been a chip person, but I do like popcorn - just get the 94% fat free kind now, and if you put some Mrs. Dash on them, it'll be great.

Woodster 06-13-2011 03:03 AM

If you have to have chocolate, (and who doesn't???) have one square of dark chocolate. It's much richer than milk choc, and it's good for you!!! It does take a little getting used to, but once you do, you'll be hooked. As far as the chips - I love them, too, but when you become really honest with yourself (I hate when that happens) you know how bad they are for you - physically and mentally - ah the guilt after eating them - been there! Try "Food Should Taste Good" Sweet Potato Chips. You can get them at BJ's, Costo, etc. They're not Lays, but still pretty darn good!