Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you think it's possible to overwinter a lantana? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-think-its-possible-overwinter-lantana-t70818.html)

Favorite Fabrics 10-18-2010 05:38 AM

I have this lantana plant that's still alive and well, and with lots of buds coming I hate to leave it out to freeze.

But I don't know if it would survive as a houseplant over the winter.

Has anybody tried this? Ideas & suggestions?

Murphy 10-18-2010 05:39 AM

I will winter over. Give it loving care in your home and it will be ready for spring.

Melinda in Tulsa 10-18-2010 05:58 AM

You don't have alot to lose by trying! I say go for it.

ssgramma 10-18-2010 06:00 AM

I would try it - just be careful to not overwater! That's how I always kill off my rosemary ;(

oldswimmer 10-18-2010 06:11 AM

I do it every year. I pot them up, with new soil. Then trim them back quite a bit. I put them under a flourescent light that is on a timer, but you could put it in a bright window. Dont overwater, and watch for bugs. It may get a little ragged looking, but when you put it back out side it will rebound well in the warm sun.
Actually, you may want to treat it with some insecticidal soap spray before you bring it in. YOu dont want to bring critters in to infest any other plants that you have.

Ditter43 10-18-2010 06:48 AM

You can also start new plants easily from cuttings...... :D

sueisallaboutquilts 10-18-2010 07:56 AM

Yes, you can bring it in. Just don't over-water. It will come back!! :D
OHHHHHNOOOOOOOOOO I'm sorry, I thought you meant bougainvillea- I don't know about lantana, sorry!

Ramona Byrd 10-18-2010 08:20 AM

You'd be surprised at what you CAN keep inside during a freezing winter. Where I am, almost all plants do well outside, with very few freezes over the years. And I agree that cuttings are easy to do, just slash down on the bottom 2 inches of the stems twice with a potato peeler, and stick in water or dirt. If any weeping willows are near, get some of their cuttings and they will root themselves and other plants faster than you can imagine. My husband used to do that with very expensive plants that did not root easily, even with rooting chemicals/hormones.
There are lights that mimic the sun with all the color rays, they will be good for you as well as the plants.
Or a bright window that faces south or SE or SW, just revolve the plant when you see it bending towards the light. Sometimes the plant just hates it where she is and will bend towards the place she wants go to, so put her there and she will thrive.
Two books to read that I would strongly suggest are " "The Psychic Power of Plants" by John Whitman, (my late Nurseryman DH's favorite, the very unforgettable (and my absolute favorite) book, "The Secret Life Of Plants" by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird. And while you're on this subject, check out a book called "The Hidden Messages in Water" by Masaru Emoto. I think these should be on any plant and health lover's book shelves.
Okay, now I'm off my soap box...

sewgull 10-18-2010 08:30 AM

In the south lantana grows very easy. Not necessary to bring inside. I feel sure you can bring it inside, trim it way back it should sprout out next spring. Have you kept any of the berries for seed? If by chance yours does not return PM me next spring and I will send you plants.

misseva 10-18-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I have this lantana plant that's still alive and well, and with lots of buds coming I hate to leave it out to freeze.

But I don't know if it would survive as a houseplant over the winter.

Has anybody tried this? Ideas & suggestions?

i don't know if there are different types or not - but i have three lantanas in the yard they die back but always come out every summer. didn't know they were an inside plant.