Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   do you use your china? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-your-china-t163551.html)

Abby'smom 10-27-2011 08:44 AM

I have about 4 sets -- don't use any of them as none go in the microwave for various reasons and shouldn't be washed in the dishwasher -- they do take up a lot of cabinet space, but they are all different and all so pretty -- lately I have been getting so lazy about cooking and such -- eating off of china just doesn't seem right in my breakfast room with take-out!! LOL -- I should use them as I really love the look and feel of china

Sheila_H 10-27-2011 08:47 AM

My grandmother's china she used every day so that's what I use today. Then there is my great grandmother's china which we only use for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

MadQuilter 10-27-2011 08:50 AM

I have a set of grey IKEA everyday for 8, a set of 4 green deep dish for Italian food that I picked up at Kohl's for a few pennies, and a set of 8 white porcelain for more formal occasions but no, I ain't got nothin fancy.

ljs317 10-27-2011 08:53 AM

I used to save everything for good. Now I use the good china and the good silver and the crystal and if gets broken then it just does. I just inherited a set of good china from my aunt that she never used and my sister got the set that we used all the holidays. I wanted that set because it has all the family memories attached to it. In my Humble opinon everyone should Use it so that your children will have memories attached to it
Lisa

Learner747 10-27-2011 08:53 AM

You have chosen the most popular pattern. It is so beautiful. The good news for this pattern is it's popularity makes it easy to replace any broken pieces which in turn is favorable for daily use. Enjoy!

sewmuch 10-27-2011 08:57 AM

I have a 12 piece set from Japan from the 60's, used to use it for the holidays, however, it has silver trim not supposed to go in dishwasher...I have a set of corelle plates and love them, so mostly use them now...

BellaBoo 10-27-2011 08:58 AM

I had my grandmother's china. I never used it but it was in my china cabinet. It looked pretty. I packed and unpacked, washed and cared for it with every move. I never wanted it but it was my grandmothers and I felt I had to keep it safe. I am trying to downsize and asked my girls to take the china. They don't want it, don't like it, said it was too much trouble to keep. I saved the tea set for my only DGD and donated the rest to the Salvation Army.

caspharm 10-27-2011 09:13 AM

I never had any fancy china. My mom and stepdad had two sets that I gave to my cousin-in-law because she likes the fancy dishes. I do like to look at them, but don't like the high maintenance.

I prefer Buffalo China or stoneware. They are simpler and sturdier.

Zhillslady 10-27-2011 09:39 AM

I have my fgrandmothers china and use is almost daily. To me why have it if I don't use it.

donnalynett 10-27-2011 09:39 AM

We inherited a beautiful set of China and a set of silverware. I don't use the China as it can not survive the dishwasher but we started using the silver everyday. I put it in the dishwasher but every so often still have to polish it.