Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   do you use your china? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-your-china-t163551.html)

quiltmau 10-27-2011 10:10 AM

I have 3 sets-Lenox butterflies I use everyday, Danby my husband uses when he microwaves and Villory & Bach I have used for everyday but put away because I was tired of it. I will take it out and use it when I get tired of either one of the others.
Kids don't want them and I decided I was 'special' enough to use use the 'good stuff'. I also use my hand blown glasses every day.
What's that old saying-"Use it or loose it"! I bought it-I like it-I enjoy it-so I use it!!

quiltmau 10-27-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I totally agree!!! I do the same. And if one gets broken...so far it has not happen...but if it does I love the hunt of finding new ones....I still am looking for a few bowls. I also collect odd and ends china. I just love my dishes...I also give my boys china bowls for their homes.

Originally Posted by Rose L
I've been collecting a set of vintage Royal China in the Currier and Ives pattern (blue) for many many years. I used to have them all stored in my buffet and only used them a couple of holidays. When we moved to the house in town I decided I was going to use them everyday and I do so. Several pieces have gotten chips in them but it gives me something to search for in antiques shops just as it has for years. It's a huge set with many many different pieces to it, teapots, casseroles, several sizes of serving bowls and platters. I had to buy a cabinet for my food because all of my kitchen cupboards are now filled with "my blue dishes". Love it!!

replacements.com has china and out of production china. Reasonable prices for items

sarahrachel 10-27-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmau

Originally Posted by carolaug
I totally agree!!! I do the same. And if one gets broken...so far it has not happen...but if it does I love the hunt of finding new ones....I still am looking for a few bowls. I also collect odd and ends china. I just love my dishes...I also give my boys china bowls for their homes.

Originally Posted by Rose L
I've been collecting a set of vintage Royal China in the Currier and Ives pattern (blue) for many many years. I used to have them all stored in my buffet and only used them a couple of holidays. When we moved to the house in town I decided I was going to use them everyday and I do so. Several pieces have gotten chips in them but it gives me something to search for in antiques shops just as it has for years. It's a huge set with many many different pieces to it, teapots, casseroles, several sizes of serving bowls and platters. I had to buy a cabinet for my food because all of my kitchen cupboards are now filled with "my blue dishes". Love it!!

replacements.com has china and out of production china. Reasonable prices for items

in production china as well. sometimes at a little cheaper prices for brand new or you can get seconds as well for more used sets

Nancy Ingham 10-27-2011 10:32 AM

I have a beautiful Lenox set for 16... use it for the holidays and entertaining but think I will start using it more... life is too short and we should all use, appreciate and enjoy the beautiful things in our lives. Thanks for reminding me!

quiltmau 10-27-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SandraD
YES! Love to use it for special occasions. I could never live in a house without a formal dining room.

never use mine - would like to make it into a reading room but can't figure out what to do with the hand carved dining set!

wraez 10-27-2011 10:37 AM

I'm giving my china to my daughter and hope she uses it more often than just holidays but she has youngsters, so she may wait till they are older. I prefer the more sturdy plates over the dainty china IMHO

I have come to believe that if you have something beautiful to use, you are worth enjoying it all the time and not save it for others to see and use.

cjsparks 10-27-2011 10:41 AM

I have a 12 piece set of Noritake china. Received the first box as an engagement gift and the second box at our wedding shower. Never used...all intact.

Catherine Marie 10-27-2011 11:08 AM

Once upon a time, I worked in a store noted for its china and crystal. I was told that bone china contained 'bone', yes, animal bone to make it stronger. I was shown how to turn a cup upside down and stand on it ( in my lighter days) in order to show the customers how durable it was. I never broke a cup. I have had my china for all of my married life- almost 40 years. I have used it on every occasion, my kids ate off of it as soon as possible and I'm trying, to no avail, to get my kids to let their kids use it. I have broken one piece and that was my fault. I am not planning on taking it with me, nor do I care if my family wants it. So I enjoy it as much as I can now.

joytotheworld 10-27-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I want to start collecting a china set (Royal Albert Old Country Roses) but am wondering that with inheriting so many china sets (Mom's christmas Spode, grandma's wedding china, grandma's set the she got just because) if it's worth collecting my own set. Of course, I already have a set of everyday dishes but from what I'm reading, it's becoming more normal to use your fancy dishes all the time, not just formal occasions.

Do you guys use your china, let alone have any?

I don't anymore because they're not dishwasher safe.

wildyard 10-27-2011 12:05 PM

Don't have any, don't want any. I use the antique serving pieces I have, including my carnival pieces. My darling MIL tried to give me her silver coffee and tea service but I lovingly and respectfully declined. I explained that as much as I appreciated her thinking of me, I just wasn't a silver type of person and she should give it to someone who would love it and care for it. Then I asked for the old enamel ware coffeepot or something along that line which is more my style. Just so you know, we had the kind of relationship where we could be honest like that with no hard feelings. I loved her so much, and she treated me like one of her daughters from the beginning.