Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   do you use your china? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-your-china-t163551.html)

gigi10 10-26-2011 07:23 PM

Have it. Sold mine in a garage sale. I have his mother's. Never use it only store it. We don't do a lot of entertaining. Someone who does more would probably use it.

luckylindy333 10-26-2011 07:27 PM

We have a set of China that DH bought when he was in the Navy. I don't like it as it is not to my taste- we weren't together then. I want to sell it. It is pale green, I think, and that Japanese brand- very good stuff bought in the 60's; I have not even looked at it for years.

Ramona Byrd 10-26-2011 07:29 PM

Use the "good" ones all the time. When I was first married, way back in 1967 and DH's dear Portuguese Mom heard me say something about putting the good china away for "Good Use" she asked me who I was saving it for.....my husband's NEXT wife?

After a good long thought, I brought it out and taught the kids how to eat correctly. Not to say we never used paper plates sometimes, but they do know how to eat correctly. And they didn't break many pieces of the set, not as many as I did myself!

CloverPatch 10-26-2011 07:33 PM

Yes I have china.
An extremely OLD set that makes me think if I look at it wrong it is going to shatter. Inherited
My grandmothers set, passed down through my mother
My Grannies set, this one is plain white with silver edges.

So that is 3 sets, all boxed somewhere to keep safe.
Do I use it? Dare NO!! I can imagine the haunting I would receive should any piece get nicked let alone broke!

When the kids move out and the dogs and cats no longer climb the walls, I may display them on the hutch.

quiltjoey 10-26-2011 07:34 PM

Have a set of Rosenthal I bought in Germany in the sixties. Have silver stem ware and Wallace Grand Baroque sterling. Use it about 2 x a year. Sets a beautiful table but lots of work as wash every thing by hand and the polish to put away...

emerald46 10-26-2011 07:50 PM

I love pretty dishes and use my Lennox china daily. Have Spode sets for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Two dif sets of Royale Doulton in china cabinet that get used whenever I need a change. I've just always loved a pretty table even when kiddos were home and had friends over for pizza. I also collect Waterford and kiddos will have complete service for 12 at some point in addition to their own.

sak658 10-26-2011 07:52 PM

I have my everyday white square set, my blue willow, and my pink depression set...use them all, depends on my mood..

CloverPatch 10-26-2011 07:53 PM

I am loving how yall know the names of what you have!!
I don't have the first clue on how to find out.

Set from Grandma was just "the blue set" Old old set was just the "rose" set, and granny evey just called it "the China"

sak658 10-26-2011 07:53 PM

I have my everyday white square set, my blue willow, and my pink depression set...use them all, depends on my mood.. Mostly we use two plastic trays with paper plates...LOL

SEW 10-26-2011 07:53 PM

I have my maternal grandmothers dishes, which are beautiful, and require hand washing. I only use them for special meals with my mom and sister/brother. Otherwise, I use solid white dishwasher safe dishes when I have a big crowd over. I still do it up, cloth napkins, stem ware, the works! But clean up is much easier. I would consider purchasing and using fancy dishes for just my husband and my self...wouldn't be a big deal to hand wash just a couple of dishes and I would definitely use every day!