Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   do you use your china? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-your-china-t163551.html)

SEW 10-26-2011 07:57 PM

:D

Leota 10-26-2011 08:00 PM

I have corel wear that MIL gave back to us after her 2nd husband died shortly after they married... That's my "china"

trisha 10-26-2011 08:10 PM

I have had my "good" china for 45 years along with the silverware. After about 30 years I thought what is the point of having this beautiful stuff when we hardly look at it. My kids will never use it, because most young couples don't use that kind of stuff. So I use it whenever we have company for dinner or people over. Get lots of complements on it. In all the years I have had it, only 1 cup has gotten a tiny little chip on it. Why hide it???? Use it and enjoy!!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 10-26-2011 08:18 PM

I will soon be getting mine out for the holidays. It really is a shame that it sits in a cabinet most of the year but we've gotten really casual!
My set is Noritake "Randolph" and I've never gotten tired of it. Really pretty.
When our kids were little we always used it for their birthdays too :)

cathyvv 10-26-2011 08:22 PM

I recieved a 'good set' of china as a wedding gift. It was very pretty but We only used it for holidays. When we moved to SC, I decided not to take it. My youngest daughter claimed it. I have no idea what she's done with it...

Maride 10-26-2011 08:44 PM

That is something DH has brought up a couple of times and we never do anything about it. He wants to get a set someday but I don't want to be bothered. We just have plates. Tons of them, which we use as we reach them without thinking twice. His mother has a huge set (Corelle), beautiful and she is too afraid to break a piece. I don't understand that. She didn't inherit it or anything, she just expects one day to use it but never do. I am just happy to have people over for dinner and sit and enjoy the company without worrying about a broken plate.

pastimesquiltdesign 10-26-2011 08:47 PM

I have my mom's china, my grandmother's china, my wedding china, and just bought a huge set of antique china for $60. I will be giving my china to my daughter as this is the one she likes best. I will probably use the other 3 sets but I am afraid to let anyone cut with a knife on the antique china. I like to use china for holidays with the whole family but also just for dinner with a friend.

Airwick156 10-26-2011 08:54 PM

I have 2 sets of china. They are the same except for one has pink roses with gold trim and the other one is yellow roses with gold trim. Where are they? In my China Cabinet...buried under Salt and Pepper Shaker sets. Do we use them? Maybe once a year we dig them out for Christmas dinner. My husband bought them for me for our 5th wedding anniversary. :)

earthwalker 10-26-2011 09:00 PM

Nothing sadder than seeing beautiful things boxed away and never used and admired. I have some of my Grandmother's pieces and a couple of my own....we use them, love them and if they get a chip (like the Indian Tree coffee jug), put beautiful flowers in and enjoy it as a vase.

Ellen 10-26-2011 09:33 PM

I have a set of Wedgewood English Bone China in the Belle Fleur pattern....my deceased DH didn't want me to use them because they would break so they've been sitting in the china cabinet, exploding. If you hear what sounds like a gun shot at close range, you've just lost another plate or veggie dish.
I can honestly say, I've never broken or chipped even one piece. It has a life of it's own.

I have another set made in Poland that doesn't explode tho it appears to be bone china. Very pretty with very dainty pink roses and gold trim.

I use my Oneida stoneware every day and have my Corelle on the top shelf that I've had for eons and just tired of it.