Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   do you use your china? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-your-china-t163551.html)

lindagor 10-27-2011 03:16 AM

I have a set that belonged to my DH's grandmother and one that belonged to his mother. I use them instead of paper plates for family get togethers! :)

thenonnielady 10-27-2011 03:20 AM

We have a good sized family. I use the Lenox for birthdays and other celebrations as well as holidays and company.....So, yes, I use it a lot.

deedum 10-27-2011 03:34 AM

I have a set that is so delicate, I use it once a year perhaps if then. Shame really. I use my Longaberger dishes everyday use. Last year I bought Christmas dishes (50% off) which I always wanted, my DH laughed at me, so this year I must get them out and use them!
I think it makes a diffrence if your home where you have more time to enjoy these things, than if your working fulltime. Been on both sides and that is my HO.

Opal Jane 10-27-2011 03:35 AM

I have Royal Albert Old Country Roses and I don't think I've ever used it. It looks really nice in the china cabinet and on the server (can't think of what that piece of furniture is called). Twelve years ago my MIL gave me a rug that matches the china perfectly. Sooo.... china and rug look beautiful in the dining room but unfortunately china does not get used. However I don't regret purchasing the china, it looks beautiful.

jitkaau 10-27-2011 03:42 AM

Quite frankly, I don't see the point of paying lots of money to keep china sitting in a cupboard like a trophy, only to be used occasionally when 'worthy company' comes around. If I can afford to buy nice china, then I use it all the time for myself so that I can enjoy it. I don't want it to be used by whomever inherits it or buys it at the auction when I pass on, if I haven't had the pleasure myself.

BabyCakes 10-27-2011 03:44 AM

I have 3 sets.2 sets from family members and the other set my mom started purchasing for me when I was 17. Only used them for special occasions.

sarahrachel 10-27-2011 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I am loving how yall know the names of what you have!!
I don't have the first clue on how to find out.

Set from Grandma was just "the blue set" Old old set was just the "rose" set, and granny evey just called it "the China"

On the bottom of the peice, there is usually something printed on it. Even if it's the name of the manufacturer, you can still find the pattern name if you look them up. But I say usually as my brother will be recieving my great grandmother's set and it doesn't have a name on the back. And some pieces might only have a name written on the back of the plates or serving pieces as my mom has a set like that. I hope you can find something because it is amazing how many "extras" you can get for a set that you didn't even know existed.

sarahrachel 10-27-2011 04:00 AM

Reading all the comments, I have decided to get a set (I think my heart had already said yes but my mind hadn't caught up yet) And I think I'll try to use it more often than just holidays as if the pieces should break (heaven forbid!) I'll be able to replace them easily as the set has not been retired and it's been around for quite some time.

For those of you who don't use theirs because of fear of breaking a piece, I completely understand. I don't think my grandmother's wedding china was ever used and I certainly won't be using it, one because heaven forbid I break a piece, and two, it's not exactly my taste. The other reason is the first set that I really liked, I realized would never ever ever be in my price range and I don't think I would be able to justify eating off a plate that costs around $100 a piece (Spode Stafford Flowers).

And from what I've read, I could use this china all year round, just pair it with a different color tablecloth or napkins. But once I inherit my mom's Christmas Tree Spode, I'll be using that for Christmas as I love the pattern and to increase my collection, I'll buy her pieces!

Yooper32 10-27-2011 04:02 AM

Had a set of Noritake, (sp?) Used to use it every TG and Christmas, but time went on, things changed and eventurally, I gave it to my DIL who kept it packed away until about 5 yrs. ago. She got it out, we washed it and used it for Christmas, when most of us were together that year. It was nice to see it again.

Edie 10-27-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
Had a set of Noritake, (sp?) Used to use it every TG and Christmas, but time went on, things changed and eventurally, I gave it to my DIL who kept it packed away until about 5 yrs. ago. She got it out, we washed it and used it for Christmas, when most of us were together that year. It was nice to see it again.

I also have a set of Noritake (sp. correct). Use it for Thanksgiving. It was my aunt's who lived in this house before us....another story. My uncle bought this brand new house for my aunt in 1921. He filled the house with everything she needed including the Noritake china. When they died, my husband and I got the house (I was named after her) and whatever I wanted including the china that served so many people. When we have Christmas dinner, it comes out, Thanksgiving and Easter, it comes out, confirmation, graduation, it comes out. So, since 1921 this is the only china that has been used to serve special occasions in our home. So we have a home who has only had two owners, the wives being named Edie (my aunt was known as Ede) and what is left of a service of 12 china. We don't have enough ramekins, we don't have a creamer, but we have the plates bowls, salad plates, dessert plates. It's too bad it is only used a few times a year, but I do want to pass it on to my daughter-in-law. Believe it or not, we are eating our meals off of our everyday ordinary dishes we bought at Petters here in St. Paul. Thems from Minnesota know who Tom Petters is and his Ponzi scheme, doomed to a room with no way to escape for the next 50-some years. Worst Ponzi in the state's history. I don't know whether to keep it in good shape and sell it for a million dollars or sell it at a garage sale or just use it up. I got it for Mother's Day quite a while back and it won't break, it should, but it doesn't, so I can't throw them out and ask Santa Claus for a new set of dishes. I just am not that way! I use it up. So much for using my china. Edie