Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you welcome the newcomers ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-welcome-newcomers-t152825.html)

Cherylsea 09-14-2011 07:13 AM

It's a problem that I have noticed at "my" guild as well. I think you just have to keep going and volunteer for things, be there to welcome guests. I mostly go for the inspiration of Show & Tell and whatever they have for instruction. It must be harder in a really large group.

Rebecca VLQ 09-14-2011 07:27 AM

Woo. This does not inspire me to seek out a local guild.

pocoellie 09-14-2011 07:34 AM

I also would have left. You are not the only one who has experienced this, not me personally, but know others who have. Such a shame, but if you need to join a guild, try some other ones, if there are more around where you live.

Jammin' Jane 09-14-2011 07:38 AM

Be tough...hang in there!! :)

AZTeri 09-14-2011 07:39 AM

Kind of the same here. I went once with my friend, but she's not been able to go lately, so I'm not going because I noticed that they were pretty unfriendly. Sigh. Too bad.

Then again, when I look at the lineup of speakers, they are all into art type quilts, which is NOT where I'm at at this point in my journey, so I guess I'm not missing much.

Painiacs 09-14-2011 07:41 AM

thats too bad! I hope u can find a smaller group they seem to be better. Too bad seems when ppl get together in a lot of circumstances they have to gossip and be mean. I dont know where it gets them. I hope you find something but you always have us!!!! :)

quiltsRfun 09-14-2011 07:57 AM

I've heard this so often with various types of guilds. It's my feeling that if they want an exclusive group they shouldn't open their meetings up to visitors. Hopefully you'll find a group that's more welcoming.

Glassquilt 09-14-2011 08:09 AM

It's a lot easier to ignore people in a large group than in a small group. Somebody else will say hello. I think a letter to Whom It May Concern is in order. Mention the unkind remarks you overheard. Being specific get more attention than generalities. Management can set the tone in a store and I feel that the board can set the tone in a guild. If they want to be unfriendly and unkind they're doing it. But if they want to be friendly they should start educating the membership as a whole.

Quiltbeagle 09-14-2011 08:37 AM

I'm not a member of any guild, only belong to a small local group of the friendliest ladies I've ever had the pleasure of being with... no cliques, no politics and no pressure.

fabrichore 09-14-2011 08:43 AM

that does not sound like a place I would like to be, especially when ladies (and i use that term lightly) talk about others, that is just wrong and hurtful, they should be ashamed of themselves, first by not being neighborly and second for being rude and hurtful, I hope you can find another group to belong to.