Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone clip coupons? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-clip-coupons-t231853.html)

damaquilts 10-08-2013 05:59 AM

Krystyna, you sound like a friend of mine. I call her the bargain queen. When I had a family to feed I did use coupons now that it is just me there just isn't enough bought that have coupons for me to try and remember. Now Joann coupons , when I lived near one I used them all the time. Only way I would buy anything for sewing . Now that there isn't one near me not so much. I can get things online other places then online at Joanns. I always look around for the cheapest price and free shipping.

Donnasue 10-08-2013 04:06 PM

I am a coupon clipper. I learned the habit from a former co-worker. I am blessed to be in an area that the Publix and Target are competitors. I print a few from a couple of sites. But, the biggest thing for those of you that live in rural areas with only a Walmart-they have coupons on their website. I do a lot of online ordering. I have five grandchildren, and none of them live within 5 hours of me. I also have a son who was injured in Afghanistan and medically discharged from the Army. He has a two month old son and I help provide the extras for them-shampoo, tp, paper towels, and those sorts of things. I don't clear shelves-that to me is just not right. But, it does help my family, so I take the time to do it.

Donnasue 10-08-2013 04:07 PM

damaquilts, I have a friend that is from Barnesville. Her mother is still there! My, this is a small world. I actually live in Stockbridge, GA now.

roadrunr 10-09-2013 05:52 AM

I do use some coupons, so I do save money, but I don't use a lot of coupons. On facebook, I get posts from Diva Desirae (sp?) who has an extreme couponing blog. She posts all the major finds that save money. With that, I'm able to see what I can get at my local stores. Just this past week, I got a 6 oz package of turkey bacon for free with a coupon and by getting it at Walgreen's which had it on sale for 99 cents. I also get coupons from web absed sites like coupon.com.

Elisabrat 10-09-2013 06:00 AM

the coupons in CA are a much higher value than the ones out here. I had my sister send them to me when I lived in AZ and our store doubled them up to 1.00 the clerks were always asking WHERE DID YOU GET THIS COUPON? all for .50, .75 c and so on I find walmart prices are good but if you can get some of those coupons you might find you save more. its a when is it on sale too...save them for the week that stuff is already on sale then use them .. an art is what it is and those ladies on tv spend all day working on this stuff. its their job. they go to three or four stores, which is a pain in the rear. and to me.. they are horders lol. they should donate their great deals to the people who need it.

Krystyna 10-10-2013 06:51 AM

Don't forget CVS! If you sign up quickly, you get double extra bucks. I just used $12 there and bought Halloween candy for a swap -- and the best part is that if I bought $10 worth, I got another $3 in extra bucks!!! So, the candy was free and I took the coupon for the $3 EB and combined it with another coupon and ... got a half gallon of ice cream for 26 cents! (Yup, I know. Stocking up on the "health food" hahaha!)

missmay 10-10-2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6334287)
ha, ha. i'm not one of those ladies. I go through coupons in the paper and am lucky to find one to use.

That is what I do too. We have loads of big supermarkets in our area and they offer their own coupons in their weekly circular. Last week I got 3 lbs of onions and a Friendlys ice cream free as well as a bag of organic carrots and a box of cookies at half price. At checkout there are always more store coupons usually based upon the products I usually buy, like paper towels. I don't always use those coupons because I can usually get another brand in the supermarket cheaper. Thing is that you have to spend time to get the most for your dollars. I've seen those Extreme Coupon shows and the people join groups where they get more coupons, I'm sure there is a fee for the groups. They also spend a lot of their time collecting and organizing their coupons in special binders. A niece has taken courses on how to extreme coupon, again that costs dollars. Some of the people have 100 jars of tomato sauce - only way that would be a savings is if they had something with tomato sauce twice a week all year long. Another had a closet filled with 2 liter bottles of her DIL's favorite soda. Does anyone really need to have 50 bottles of soda on hand and what if she decides she doesn't like that soda any longer? Others buy trucks so they can haul their stuff home or build rooms to store their goods. Not for me. Coupons have changed over the years as someone mentioned, it isn't a bargain if I have to buy 2 to try out a n ew product. Even McDonald's and other fast food coupons have changed, you need to buy 2 to get one free when I only want one - not the kind of food you take home and save for another meal.