Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone collect thimbles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-collect-thimbles-t130634.html)

BarbaraTX 06-15-2011 06:02 AM

I started collecting thimbles several years ago. Bought several on ebay, including a wall display unit for them. I have 85 thimbles,, some wood, some glass, some ceramic, some metal, some with inlays, some from other countries. I have a cowboy hat, a santa, a snowman, and sea otter. I have one with a moose hugging the thimble and one with a duck sitting on top of the thimble.
Whenever anyone in my small quilting group goes anywhere, we bring back a thimble and fat quarter for each member in the group. My husband brings me one occassionally from his business trips.
I love looking for them at garage sales too. What do you have?

Kuusistoquilter 06-15-2011 06:06 AM

I inherited my MIL's thimble collection when she died last year. The collection was split between family members, I but got the bilk of it. I have thimbles from around the world. Fur ones from Alaska, blue delft from Holland, Bone china from England, and many from all the states. I have several wooden ones.

thequilterslink 06-15-2011 06:11 AM

i have about 20 thimbles, i am not actively collecting them, but when i see a cute one at a garage sale i pick it up. I have them on a little shelf. My passion is old pin cushions.

Janet Leigh 06-15-2011 06:14 AM

When I travel, I buy a souvenier thimble for my sister-in-law and she buys one for me when she travels. We told our daughters that if they want to know where we have traveled to look at the sister-in-law thimble collection!!

Robinlee 06-15-2011 06:14 AM

I have about 30 of them collected in the last 30+ years. Mostly of places we've been or given as a gift, My favorites ones are my pewter ones from Alaska, Washington DC and the World of Coke Cola in Georgia. All 3 places are ones that I picked up while attending meetings or visiting my son and family in Alaska. I am always watching for them. All are of states with the exception of the Coke cola one, and I even have one from Mexico, London, these two were from friends that were on trips there.
In February we are going on a cruise for our Anniversary. So I will get several more then.

greensleeves 06-15-2011 06:16 AM

I too collect thimbles. One of the easiest items to buy and pack when traveling. I don't know the exact number but well over 100 of all sizes and shapes, old and new.

JCquilts 06-15-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
I too collect thimbles. One of the easiest items to buy and pack when traveling. I don't know the exact number but well over 100 of all sizes and shapes, old and new.

I have a collection of old silver thimbles. Not too much into the "collectible" decorative ones. My thing is real usable or used sewing items from the past.

sweet 06-15-2011 06:55 AM

I think thimble collections are so cool! Would love to see pictures of some of them!

oksewglad 06-15-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JCquilts

Originally Posted by greensleeves

I have a collection of old silver thimbles. Not too much into the "collectible" decorative ones. My thing is real usable or used sewing items from the past.

I was gifted part of a collection of the thimbles from a dear aunt, many of them the older silver ones, too. Need to dust them off and get them displayed--want them in a glass enclosed case as I don't want to clean them all the time!

Sneed 06-15-2011 07:52 AM

I give away a lot of thimbles. I've bought so many, and never found one that works for me. So, no. Not a collector.