Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone tie quilts anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-tie-quilts-anymore-t260048.html)

landers1 01-21-2015 08:15 AM

Yes,I tie mine it is quicker I just enjoy making the tops.

Boston1954 01-21-2015 08:17 AM

My sister does. She has Parkinson's and cannot do the hand quilting any more.

francie yuhas 01-21-2015 08:45 AM

I'm in a group that akes Linus quilts.Some of the ladies love to sit around a table together and tie them,so I sew as fast as I can to make tops to keep them going. These are more mature ladies who tied quilts in their younger days,and these quilts are really tied!

Geri B 01-21-2015 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7057216)
Even though we normally do not tie we still do tie some quilts. some quilts just call to be tied and also it seems the tied quilts are warmer and have a better drape then machine quilted quilts. I really like the look of ties and sometimes combine it with regular quilting. Indeed $25 seems a steal to have some one tie a large quilt. Of course it also depends on how they do the tie.

The first quilt I made, just 5" squares, 2 colors just alternated....I tied with yarn( did a square knot) in center of each block, then decided to hand quilt diagonals across points of squares...now looking back at it( made around 1985)... Quilting is primitive stitch( large).....poly batt...not too thick....smiling now thinking I really did not know what I was doing/neighbor helped.....and I still use it.....not daily...alternate yearly with others I have made.....that was the beginning of this amazingly satisfying, calming journey!

Geri B 01-21-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7057216)
Even though we normally do not tie we still do tie some quilts. some quilts just call to be tied and also it seems the tied quilts are warmer and have a better drape then machine quilted quilts. I really like the look of ties and sometimes combine it with regular quilting. Indeed $25 seems a steal to have some one tie a large quilt. Of course it also depends on how they do the tie.

The first quilt I made, just 5" squares, 2 colors just alternated....I tied with yarn( did a square knot) in center of each block, then decided to hand quilt diagonals across points of squares...now looking back at it( made around 1985)... Quilting is primitive stitch( large).....poly batt...not too thick......and I still use it.....not daily...alternate yearly with others I have made.....that was the beginning of this amazingly satisfying, calming journey!

And I really think the warmth factor is affected by heavy quilting...the batting is there to capture and hold warmth, if it's extremely compressed, it can't do its job......JMHO. I will duck as the arrows are slung.....

QuiltnNan 01-21-2015 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a couple years ago i helped my elderly aunt make a quilt for her twin bed. she chose the fabric from JoAnn's and she wanted it tied with the green yarn. she loves it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507036[/ATTACH]

jbj137 01-21-2015 10:43 AM

*** I tie one occasionally.
*** I love the poofy look it gives.

pocoellie 01-21-2015 11:20 AM

bee3, if I could figure out how to post pics I would post one of a tied quilt I did for a local store owner.

bee3 01-21-2015 11:20 AM

QuiltnNan, what a nice picture, the quilt is lovely! would love to see more photos of tied quilts

Jingle 01-21-2015 01:36 PM

I only tie comforters. Just made and tied three comforters. Never tied a quilt. I used to hand quilt, gave it up - too slow.
Now I only FMQ my quilts and use Polyester batting. Warmth without the weight.