Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone tie quilts anymore?

dd

Does anyone tie quilts anymore?

I didn't think that was done much anymore but I just had a woman approach me about tying a quilt for her. She said she had a woman who would tie her quilts for $25. I told her that was a steal and she should call her again. I can't imagine tying a quilt for $25 but not sure what I would charge either. I haven't seen a tied quilt in years. Does anyone still do that? These are wedding quilts for her grandchildren so I'm assuming they are big enough for a bed.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I've tied a few. They are holding up very well. One was a scrap quilt. I used different colors for the ties so they blended in with the fabrics and were not as noticeable as if all were the same color. I don't like to draw attention to the ties.
    Last edited by nygal; 01-21-2015 at 05:44 AM.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Absolutly, I don't do my own quilting so yes some of them get tied instead of turned in to get quilted. My most recent one was a baby quilt with 3d years and tails before that was a tshirt quilt for my daughter it gave us the look a puff and feel she wanted. $25 just to spend a couple of hours to tie a quilt isnt that bad depending on the size of it, and how close the ties need to be.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I just did my first tied quilt as a Christmas gift. My gran tied ALL of her quilts but it felt "risky" to me for some reason, so I washed it four times before I gave it away, just to make SURE everything stayed together! It held together just fine, and all the washing frayed the ties which I think made them look nicer and I imagine helps make sure they stay tied. (I used pearl cotton #8, worked great. My gran always used yarn scraps but I don't really like how bumpy the knots are.)

I have a king-size quilt I am finishing for our bed, and I want to double-batt it. I quilt my quilts on my DSM; it has a 9" harp but shoving a double-batt king-size quilt through has been something I've been putting off and dreading. But now that the other quilt went so well, I've decided to tie it! I didn't have any good ideas for the quilting anyway, and since I want this quilt to be extra warm I think tying makes more sense anyway - leaves more loft to trap heat. I just have to get my hiney down to the store and find some brown pearl cotton for the ties.

Even though we normally do not tie we still do tie some quilts. some quilts just call to be tied and also it seems the tied quilts are warmer and have a better drape then machine quilted quilts. I really like the look of ties and sometimes combine it with regular quilting. Indeed $25 seems a steal to have some one tie a large quilt. Of course it also depends on how they do the tie.
    Anna Quilts

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My sister's "SOSE" (significant other, spousal equivalent) asked if she and I could repair a quilt his mother made. All 5 could use the repair. These quilts are very old. His mother worked in a textile mill and so did he. He made thread. Anyway I went to look at it. The batting needs to be rearranged or replaced and it also needs to be retied. He asked if I would trade labor for the FW he has. You BEtcha. It works. This I know for sure. This is a full size quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    He asked if I would trade labor for the FW he has. You BEtcha. It works. This I know for sure. This is a full size quilt.
    That sounds like a great deal to me!! Nice!

I still tie quilts, although not as often as I used to, it just depends on the batting now, for me to tie. I use embroidery floss and tie about every 2", which is a lot closer than people who tie, tie theirs, but I really like the closer ties.

pocoellie, would love to see one of your tied quilts. I think tied quilts are charming and old fashioned, in a good way.

Blog Entries
    I tie all my quilts as I don't have a machine to quilt. People here like the old fashioned way and often ask for it to be tied. They say it is warmer than a quilted ones.

Yes,I tie mine it is quicker I just enjoy making the tops.

My sister does. She has Parkinson's and cannot do the hand quilting any more.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I'm in a group that akes Linus quilts.Some of the ladies love to sit around a table together and tie them,so I sew as fast as I can to make tops to keep them going. These are more mature ladies who tied quilts in their younger days,and these quilts are really tied!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Even though we normally do not tie we still do tie some quilts. some quilts just call to be tied and also it seems the tied quilts are warmer and have a better drape then machine quilted quilts. I really like the look of ties and sometimes combine it with regular quilting. Indeed $25 seems a steal to have some one tie a large quilt. Of course it also depends on how they do the tie.
    The first quilt I made, just 5" squares, 2 colors just alternated....I tied with yarn( did a square knot) in center of each block, then decided to hand quilt diagonals across points of squares...now looking back at it( made around 1985)... Quilting is primitive stitch( large).....poly batt...not too thick....smiling now thinking I really did not know what I was doing/neighbor helped.....and I still use it.....not daily...alternate yearly with others I have made.....that was the beginning of this amazingly satisfying, calming journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    The first quilt I made, just 5" squares, 2 colors just alternated....I tied with yarn( did a square knot) in center of each block, then decided to hand quilt diagonals across points of squares...now looking back at it( made around 1985)... Quilting is primitive stitch( large).....poly batt...not too thick......and I still use it.....not daily...alternate yearly with others I have made.....that was the beginning of this amazingly satisfying, calming journey!

And I really think the warmth factor is affected by heavy quilting...the batting is there to capture and hold warmth, if it's extremely compressed, it can't do its job......JMHO. I will duck as the arrows are slung.....

Blog Entries
    a couple years ago i helped my elderly aunt make a quilt for her twin bed. she chose the fabric from JoAnn's and she wanted it tied with the green yarn. she loves it!
    Name:  20120803 Kay with finished quilt.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  148.1 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries

Red face

*** I tie one occasionally.
    *** I love the poofy look it gives.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

bee3, if I could figure out how to post pics I would post one of a tied quilt I did for a local store owner.

QuiltnNan, what a nice picture, the quilt is lovely! would love to see more photos of tied quilts

I only tie comforters. Just made and tied three comforters. Never tied a quilt. I used to hand quilt, gave it up - too slow.
    Now I only FMQ my quilts and use Polyester batting. Warmth without the weight.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You wanted pictures

bee3. Here are 2 pictures of the last two quilts I tied. My daughters t shirt quilt and My great niece to be piggy quilt the third one is one I just helped my daughter make for her boyfriend's new baby niece. .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Billi, i love your quilts, so comfy looking !

Blog Entries
    Billi, love the quilts. I started on this quilting journey when I was a kid, so I tied my first 20 or so. when i was about 18, someone told me I wasn't quilting if I tied it. (this from a quilt store owner) so at that point, I started hand quilting. I've sent 3 out to be machine done, and I machine quilted 3 myself. but i'm a hand quilter. I'd love to tie a quilt again. and this topic just made me want to do one again. I think ill need to make a quilt to tie.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I will occasionally tie quilts depending on the batting loft . I do find them warmer than machine quilted quilts and like the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

I put ties in prayer quilts, then the knots are tied by members of the church as they say a prayer for the recipient. For home use, I tied a quilt on the back - I needed it held together and the machine I had then wouldn't quilt. I preferred not to have the tie ends show on the front. It looks good - the slight puff from the batting, but no strings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast